Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Throwing Crankbaits in Florida

Just a quick question, Is there a call/need to throw crankbaits here in Florida? I am semi new to Florida fishing, and have a bunch of Crankbaits, and have always wanted to be more confident, in throwing crankbaits. I have never really talked to anyone that can explain the whens and wheres, about throwing Crankbaits. I have mostly 1.5 & some 2.5, and a handful of the DT FAT wake baits. I am always thinking that with the shallow grass, its not going to be worth throwing them, but again, i have never been educated/taught or seen anyone , throw crankbaits with alot of luck. I am all ears, if someone wants to try to explain to me, in terms i can understand, about the do's & don'ts, the whens and wheres and etc. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I throw crankbaits all the time, when I get tired of beating the bank with plastics. Depends to me on where I am. I Like to drag them over the tops of submerged grass beds. Sometimes when the fish are just out and suspended I throw some deep divers that corresponds with their depth. Experimentation is the key, with a good fish finder

I am in North Florida (Middleburg) and fish Rodman and the River as well as surrounding lakes, yes there is a place for fishing cranks here. Square Bills, KVD 1.5's etc. certain colors work in certain times of the year. Bluegill patterns in various hues during the summer or when Bluegills are spawning work well. And of course the Chart/Black patterns for all tannic waters as well. Jerk Baits are a favorite of mine to use here as well. Cant wait to get me some Berkley Stunna's.

Spanky

I won I tournament a couple months ago and every fish was caught on a lipless crankbait.
    USAF Retired 1983 - 2003
    Ground Radio Technician
    2013 Nitro Z6 115 Optimax

5. Member
    I catch more fish on a lipless than any other lure.

6. Member
    Yeah, i knew/heard about using a lipless crankbait. I am in Brooksville, and we fish tourneys around the area (Lake Rousseau, Johns Lake, Pannasoffkee, etc). Just want to have another weapon i can fall back onto, when the usual stand-bys aren't producing. I am definately going to be throwing Jerkbaits.

7. Member
    What color lipless, cg2fish?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    Keep it simple - either gold or silver on lipless crankbaits in Florida

9. Member
    Exactly. On sunny days I throw chrome with blue back and orange belly. Early and late I throw gold. Cloudy days I throw diamond shad or Smokey Joe. I’ll give you a secret lure to fish Toho and lakes farther south. Model # RT39C.

10. Member
    Just straight Gold & Silver/Chrome, or Gold/Silver as the main color, such as Gold/Black, Silver/Chrome with Blue back etc? Also, hoping this don't open up a can of worms. Stained water VS Tannic water. Is it the same or different? Alot of the Lakes i have fished down here, i do not see my Black worm, until i almost bring it out of the water. The white swim jig, is pretty visable, so what is the standard or is there no standard?
    Last edited by NHbassfisherman; 09-03-2021 at 11:54 AM.

11. Member
    Overcast-gold /black back, Sunny-chrome/blue back, Muddy water-dark baits, Clean water- natural baits. June bug and black/blue are staples in Fl. Watermelon red is also excellent in clear water.

12. Member
    So is so called Tannic water, considered stained? I have the Blk/Blue & Junebug colors. I also have some 8" Lizards in the Watermelon Red color, and some creature baits that were custom made for me, in the Watermelon Red. Brush Hogs, etc.

So is so called Tannic water, considered stained? I have the Blk/Blue & Junebug colors. I also have some 8" Lizards in the Watermelon Red color, and some creature baits that were custom made for me, in the Watermelon Red. Brush Hogs, etc.
    Yes it is, and listen to the guys giving you the gouge on lipless cranks because they are SPOT on....

Spanky

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I don’t throw a lipless much but I do throw a Little John, DT6, DT10 every single time I fish. The Little John is my go to, I can fish it in 2-10’ of water and it’s caught me plenty of fish.

Ott Defoe won on the Harris Chain a couple months ago with his OG6. I have 3-4 of them, got my first one before my club tourney on Harris in July and ended up winning. Green gizzard Shad, Helsinki Shad, and Carribean Shad. Chartreuse/blue back (parrot) is a great color for anything 6’ and deeper in “normal” Florida colored water.

I usually have a Parrot and a Shad colored little John on and stick to the one that’s getting hit most.

Be creative, ripping a crank free of weeds (that have somehow escaped being sprayed) can produce some great strikes and they’re perfect for searching water looking for weed clumps.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I had 20 LBS on a bream colored 3/4 oz 2 Tap.
    USAF Retired 1983 - 2003
    Ground Radio Technician
    2013 Nitro Z6 115 Optimax

16. Member
    I actually threw a crankbait this weekend on Harris chain for the first time in like 12 years. I don't know what the bass were holding to but there was a little 20 yard stretch in 13' of water where I caught 5 fish on a 6XD ranging from 3-5lbs. Left after 30 min. The next day they were gone
    Last edited by Triton420; 10-13-2021 at 10:09 PM.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    I actually threw a crankbait this weekend on Harris chain for the first time in like 12 years. I don't know what the bass were holding to but there was a little 20 yard stretch in 13' of water where I caught 5 fish on a 5XD ranging from 3-5lbs. Left after 30 min. The next day they were gone
    Yup! That's the Harris Chain lol. Here today, gone tomorrow.

One of the best days I've ever had fishing in Florida was on lipless cranks in January on Seminole. Between my partner and I we estimate we caught over 120 bass in 6 hours. Largest was 9 pounds and our best five would easily have been over 30lbs. Of course it was just a fun day fishing and not a tournament lol

Yes, traps are pretty much a staple fishing item here in Fl.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Was badly overlooking the "square bill" the past years...BUT this summer May 4-July 10th ONLY...I caught these in the Palatka SJR area:
    4.71#, 4.89#, 5.15#, 5.49, 6.23# and 8.04#...some of those won a small T and a couple won big bass...one got me another Trophy Catch certificate...

Not saying the cover or how I fish them except its shallow and they were Academy brand in 2 colors with my usual upgraded hooks...
    so tie a couple on and work them in your rotation...time will direct you from there.

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

20. Member
    You can watch a ton of videos on youtube about guys catching tons of fish on lipless and other baits. Here is my amateur take. Find a brand maybe two and stick with it. I see a lot of folks with 30 different brands and never settle into a comfort zone. IMO in the stained waters of Florida sound or no sound (rattle type) is more important factor. Reason being, I have caught bass on the same day with a lipless (for example) in five different colors. Clear water a bit different.

In short: Shell beds, I want a crank that is impacting the shell bed. Wood (docks), I want something that will deflect and I do not care if I loose. Grass, I lipless and square bill.

A few of the things I like to throw.

LV 500 - great for offshore, shellbeds, deeper water. Only comes in 3/4 but amazing bait. If you do not mind losing a 17 dollar bait works in wood also.
    Bill Lewes - blue with orange belly. Red belly sucks.

Sebile - my favorites.

Berkely Frittside crank

Lucky Craft CIF jerbaits.

Most important and we have all done it: "I never catch anything on a crank bait" eight hours into throwing a worm. Go out on the water with nothing but crank and lipless for the day. Hope this helps and there are more of course, however, pick a few and have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast