Thread: Tip Top Sizing

Question Tip Top Sizing

Hey all,

I just purchased a new blank to start working on and a corresponding tip top based on the manufacturer listed tip size. There seems to be a bit more play than I would like and can easily spin the tip top around.

So, it got me thinking should I be getting smaller tips to fit more snugly on blanks or just filling it with adhesive and let that hold it in place? What are your guys thoughts?

Thanks

As long as it's not really wobbly, you can fill it in with adhesive and it'll be fine. The only real downside is that it could be a bit tougher to wrap if you're planning to wrap it, just due to needing to get the thread to lay down properly as you go over the threshold between tip top tube and blank.

Depending on how much play you have, it might simply be a situation where the blank is in between sizes and sizing down would mean the tip top wouldn't fit. Or probably more likely, there's a little bit of variation from blank to blank and the tip on the one you got is just a bit smaller. Not a huge deal either way.

Moving forward, invest in one of the little tip top sizing things all the rod building places sell. They're cheap and come in super handy for this and the inevitable tip top replacements you'll be doing in the future.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    I do actually have the tip sizing tool. But I ordered the blank and tip at the same time so I couldn't measure it beforehand and went off the specs. Lesson learned, I think the one I ordered is too wobbly so I'll go one size down.

Thanks again!

4. Member
    When I order from Mudhole, I tell them which tip I want and tell them to match the size to fit. Get a perfect match every time. Blanks do vary a little.

5. Member
    Good idea too, thank you.

I've learned to never trust manufacturers specs and order my tip tops when I have the blank in my hands.