1997 Mariner 175 efi hard to start cold

Got a 1997 mariner 175 efi. Sn# 0g549797
    Just got thst boat, very difficult to start motor. Will crank and try to start, occasionally starting but slowly dying right after.
    Once i do manage to start and keep it running, it runs very rough until it warms up then it runs great.

Checked throttle position sensor it was reading 0 so i set it to .263v per the manual (port temp sensor disconnected while setting). Didnt seem to help.
    I then tried unplugging the port head temp sensor and that seemed to solve the issue. Started and idles just fine.

Any ideas what the problem is?

2. Member
    test or have tested cyl head temp sensor and air temp semsors , when you unplugged that sensor you changed the pulse rate of injectors /richens mixture
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Ok will do. If they werent bad where would u go from there?

4. Member
    make sure it has and maintains correct fuel psi
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Could the ecu be a possible issue?

6. Member
    sure it could if pump quits running and has no fuel psi thats why i asked about correct fuel psi #3

7. Member
    Well its none of the above, tested all 3 by the book no help. Unplugged head temp sensor again and it fired right up.
    Checked .462, idle timing 3 atdc max timing 20btdc.
    At a loss.

8. Member
    you know anyone that has 200 close to same year model for ECU trial , injectors ever been cleaned ???? also there is a kit to install for choke operation from key switch to richen mixture up when cold , you posibly have a problem in your ECU cold enrichment curcuit

9. Member
    Ya i tried the mod to push key enrich. Didnt seem to work. I do have a 150 ecu on my other boat

10. Member
    try it for a test see if it starts cold easier

11. Member
    Will do. Have a working 175 ecu on the way should be here tuesday

12. Member
    For people having this problem in the future, it was the ecu. Got a good one and put it on, no longer having any cold start problems.

13. Member