Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who Bought a Pro's Boat?

My son asked me how many hours a pro puts on his motor in a year. I have no idea. I know several on here have purchased a pro's boat after a year of use. How many hours were on the motor when you bought it?

2. Member

3. Member
    Bought Ish’s 2020 tour rig and it had lass than 90 hours on it.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I would say the general average for an elite pro is in the range of 100 to 140

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by capt1fish View Post
    I fish the same way as him, motor to a spot and get on the TM and flip/pitch for 2 hours, motor for 10 min and repeat for the day. LOL

6. Member
    I have, but had no idea about the hours. I don’t know how it is now, but when I purchased it, the factory warranty on the Mercury of one year, started the date I purchased it, and Ranger fixed nicks and dings on the boat before I took possession, but that’s been a long time ago. The one I purchased was a 370 hull that George Cochran ran. My wife and I had a blast in that boat, and Mr Cochran picked out a beautiful color scheme.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron H 520 View Post
    I have, but had no idea about the hours. I don’t know how it is now, but when I purchased it, the factory warranty on the Mercury of one year, started the date I purchased it, and Ranger fixed nicks and dings on the boat before I took possession, but that’s been a long time ago. The one I purchased was a 370 hull that George Cochran ran. My wife and I had a blast in that boat, and Mr Cochran picked out a beautiful color scheme.
    Curious what year that boat was? I fished (back seat) a Bassmaster Top 100 in April of '98 @ Russell Lake in Ga. Day 1 I was in Cochran's Ranger.
    It was a clear windy morning after tornado's the night before. We took a long very choppy ride that morning , thought I was going to have to have kidney & back surgrey that evening.

He was a heck of a nice guy , never forget that he had a limit in the boat before I got my rods untangled....

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt1fish View Post
    Only 90 hours? That seems very low for a pro's boat. Guess he doesn't spend much time driving/graphing in practice.
    Semper Fi

9. Member
    A buddy of mine bought Drew Cooks boat from last year. He said it had about 120 hours on it. Guess it just depends on the persons fishing style.

10. Member
    My 2020 rig at 110 hours, but I picked it up from the pro in July last year.

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    Only 90 hours? That seems very low for a pro's boat. Guess he doesn't spend much time driving/graphing in practice.
    The long runs are pretty much on tournament day only. They usually launch close to the area the want to practice in. They might do a long run from the launch to where they want to start Day 1 if they need to know how much time they need to get back on time.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Yep, less than 120 for me.

I have done it twice and both times the motor had just under 100hrs. Both boats and motors were flawless.

Over the years the pro deals have changed, some got a new motor every 6 months, some got 2 boats every year. Some pros never title there boats, so warranty starts when you buy it.... although this seems to be going away.

I would say the average is about 100 hours +.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    I would have assumed (wrongly of course) that they put 150 or more hours a year on their boats. With pre fishing, practice then tournaments. But i do guess it would depend on how many tournaments they do.

Would think at least an hour a day of run time a day on the water...
    Semper Fi

Depends on if they just fish tournaments or if they guide/do electronics classes as well. Each pro is different and each one takes care of their boats differently. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from Casey Scanlon, Jeremy Lawyer, or James Watson. Each one is super super anal about their boats and store them inside a shop when not in use, I've had to pull over on a highway to help Watson cover a boat because it was starting to sprinkle LOL.

17. Member
    I've seen many pros with two boats, some with aluminum boats, could explain the less hours when they are home just fun fishing as well.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

18. Member
    I bought Roland Martins 2005 Triton, at the time his last Tx boat. Drove down to the Big O to pick it up. Trailer was rusty a bit and I did not look under the boat at the hull. Scratched and chipped due to the big O being shallow, I guess. Roland wasn't there, so I dealt with his business partner Walt. Got a great deal, so no complaints. It was the first model with the Verado. Great motor, but the Triton was not designed to handle the extra weight at that time. My learning is look at the boat before you buy and don't get first year model of anything.....(motors, TM's, Electronics, etc).
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

19. Member
    I’ve bought 3 special purpose boats over the years. First one was a 1991 Ranger 361v built for the Bass Federation tournament, 2nd one was a 1998 Ranger R81 sport built for Redman championship tournament, 3rd and my current boat is a 2015 Ranger 521c built for FLW camera boat. Each one has been a great deal and appears to have been gently used and I’ve been happy as can be each time.

20. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    I bought a BASS pro’s boat in 2008. Had just under 100 hours on it.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast