Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long of process to check/set demand Linear

Hi guys- I’ll be going to pick up my new boat ( Nitro Z19 w/ 200 merc pro XS) in a week or so and plan to have the dealership check to ensure my Hotfoot is set to 100% Demand Linear. How long does the process take? I’ve read the detailed step by step that Don made up. Thanks for the input. It’s much appreciated from a new bass boat owner.

2. Member
    10 minutes if its set right.

3. mikesxpress
    It's all in the G3 setup on the laptop which is hooked to the engine. Time to complete is dependent on the mechanics ability to adjust the hotfoot.

4. Member
    Is it safe to assume that with Dons detailed instructions it shouldn’t take the “ Mercury Tech” long to make the adjustments if needed. Guess I’m not overly confident that it’s coming from the factory set proper.?

5. Member
    Should be part of the dealer's pre-delivery inspection. I would confirm it happened as well as to carefully inspect every component/system to confirm all work properly before I handed over the check. Enjoy your new ride.

6. mikesxpress
    A reputable Mercury mechanic is going to follow the G3 instructions. He is not going to be looking at something off social media presented to him. If he does even look at it, hook up and get out of there!

7. Member
    No I’m not going to hook up and get out of there. Don’t you see that as part of the problem?
    Im going to ask them to show documentation that they checked and set it proper. That’s their job and part of what I’m paying for.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    A reputable Mercury mechanic is going to follow the G3 instructions. He is not going to be looking at something off social media presented to him. If he does even look at it, hook up and get out of there!
    Mike- you've got a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress
    It's all in the G3 setup on the laptop which is hooked to the engine. Time to complete is dependent on the mechanics ability to adjust the hotfoot.
    As a retired Mechanical Engineer, I would expect you would realize that it's not necessarily "ability" that's the problem.

Useful and accurate information, and a mechanical hotfoot that is (within it's designed range of motion) capable of meeting the total travel requirements are JUST as important.

Jetch114: If its set properly, less than 10 minutes in most cases.

If it's not setup correctly, the time required may range from 30 minutes to several HOURS. I myself have been put in the position where I had to re-engineer a hotfoot that was less than 2 years old, which can be quite time consuming. The alternative is to simply replace it with one that has been re-designed to exceed the minimum range of travel (and then set THAT hotfoot up properly).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Mike- you've got a PM.

As a retired Mechanical Engineer, I would expect you would realize that it's not necessarily "ability" that's the problem.

Useful and accurate information, and a mechanical hotfoot that is (within it's designed range of motion) capable of meeting the total travel requirements are JUST as important.

If it's not setup correctly, the time required may range from 30 minutes to several HOURS. I myself have been put in the position where I had to re-engineer a hotfoot that was less than 2 years old, which can be quite time consuming. The alternative is to simply replace it with one that has been re-designed to exceed the minimum range of travel (and then set THAT hotfoot up properly).
    Thankyou fine Sir. Maybe im way overthinking this. The boat and hotfoot are a brand new Nitro Z19 (200 merc pro XS) and id guess a new redesigned hotfoot..??
    For all i know it may be set perfect from the nitro build facility?
    In my mind id like to know its set right before i leave the dealer and drive 3.5 hours.

Forgive my ignorance- Maybe i need to take it home, break it in and put some hours on it before having it checked??

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very unlikely it's correct when it leaves the plant. Pre-Delivery inspections and adjustments are the responsibility of the SELLING dealer. So they are supposed to check it... and then certify all of the checks pertinent to your engine/rigging were done.

Talk to your dealer - they should know exactly what is required.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Very unlikely it's correct when it leaves the plant. Pre-Delivery inspections and adjustments are the responsibility of the SELLING dealer. So they are supposed to check it... and then certify all of the checks pertinent to your engine/rigging were done.

Talk to your dealer - they should know exactly what is required.
    They should but they all don’t the only dealer I have around me has no clue.
    Bullet 21XRS 250 pro xs serial#2B775575

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sad… as much as I hate to admit it the manufacturer’s documentation is based on the presumption that the engine is rigged to a Mercury throttle and shift control, with Mercury/Quicksilver cables. Adequate throw is available in those devices provided that the travel of the handle is not limited by contacting something.

The boat markets actually using hotfoot models are only a small segment of the market as a whole.

13. Member
    Sounds like I better have my fingers crossed that it’s at 100 when they check it. Otherwise I’ll be showing them your (Dons) instruction and hopefully they can figure it out. After all they are trained professionals right?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetch114 View Post
    Sounds like I better have my fingers crossed that it’s at 100 when they check it. Otherwise I’ll be showing them your (Dons) instruction and hopefully they can figure it out. After all they are trained professionals right?
    Maybe a compromise answer is to contact your selling dealer today, before you go pick it up next week. Provide them the information you know (that there are know cases where the hotfoots were not properly set up, that some models are limited on throttle range, that this forum exists and it has been brought up that it is important to ensure it is done, Don's instructions printout or a link to it, etc) and ask that they go through it and validate that the throttle is getting 100% open as they do the rigging needed. You could ask they provide some documentation it was done ? Don, is there a print out or screen shot from the G3 they could share?

This approach may foster a more collaborative approach. The dealer is motivated to satisfy you as a customer, and may know exactly what to do already...or, they may not know, and this will be an education. But, by asking ahead of the pickup time, you are giving the dealer some time to do it and fit in their schedule, rather than being demanding on the moment of pickup and surprising them.

Seems like a win/win.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I’m working on a G3 demonstration video (may be a few weeks since I’m tied up with a family situation at the moment).

Hi Jetch,
    Congrats on the new rig, I’m sure your 100% Demand Linear won’t be an issue and you’ll have an enjoyable experience. I am keen to see what lower unit is on your 200 as it appears the standard is now the 4.8” 1:85 ratio, and not the TM 1:75.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Hi Jetch,
    Congrats on the new rig, I’m sure your 100% Demand Linear won’t be an issue and you’ll have an enjoyable experience. I am keen to see what lower unit is on your 200 as it appears the standard is now the 4.8” 1:85 ratio, and not the TM 1:75.
    Since I'm sure the OP'er now wonders about this "off the topic" material, here's the "skinny" on that:

The 200 ProXS (20" Mechanical) now has two unique model numbers.

12000027A: Comes with a 1.75 Torquemaster
    12000039A: Comes with a 1.85 4.88" Gearcase

The 4.88 was recently made available on the 200 ProXS (like it was on the 175 ProXS) as some boats benefit from the lower gear ratio.

18. Member
    No need to get defensive thommo59. He likely knew that I was wondering because I’ve asked a lot of questions over the past couple months about my new boat and motor. I think he was simply projecting that if want to know why the change and he’s absolutely right.
    Thanks EuropeanAM for all the knowledge you share on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetch114 View Post
    No I’m not going to hook up and get out of there. Don’t you see that as part of the problem?
    Im going to ask them to show documentation that they checked and set it proper. That’s their job and part of what I’m paying for.

Hopefully that problem is getting better. I personally know of 3 boats from 2 different dealers that were never checked until I convinced them to take it somewhere else. Sadly I figure every boat sold from them for awhile wasn't set.

20. Member
    Mike- you've got a PM.

Don- Is there a Hotfoot that you would recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast