Cross your cables when hitching?

My previous boat had chains. Always crossed them.

When I picked up my AVX, the dealer didn't cross the cables. So that's how I've been running it all this time.

I hear this might be illegal in some states. So what's the official usage with cables?

2. Member
    In Pa. they have to be crossed. That being said I dont. On last boat after years I took off cables and put on chains , this winter project

3. Member
    California law doesn’t require crossing cables or chains. All safety connections and attachments shall be of sufficient strength to control the towed vehicle in the event of failure of the regular hitch, coupling device, drawbar, tongue, or other connection.  All safety connections and attachments also shall have a positive means of closure ensuring that the safety connection or attachment does not become dislodged while in transit. In addition the breakaway cable that applies the brakes in case of a failure must be attached independently of the safety chains / cables. Again also must have positive means of closure.

4. Member
    I checked the cables the other day. Crossing them won't do anything. They are too long to cradle the hitch if it pops off.

5. Member
    In PA they need to be crossed, but they really don't help by doing that. Not sure what the correct answer would be in these types of states
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance