Thread: PHX vs Elite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PHX vs Elite

Hey all,

Will be ordering my first Phoenix soon after 30 years in Rangers. Trying to decide between phx and elite in the 21 foot models. With the deck layouts being the same other than gunnel height, it looks like it comes down to the hull. Was the ride and rough water capability poor enough in the pro xp that phoenix felt it necessary to design the phx hull? Is the better ride worth the loss in speed for the phx? Or is the ride good enough/safe enough in the elite that the phx isn't necessary?

I guess I'm hoping to hear arguments for both sides so I can make my decision.

Thanks guys

2. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I don't fish enough "big" water to justify the extra dollars. I'm going with the Elite for the flippin deck and lower weight and saving a couple dollars. Iknow as much as these cost who cares!! Who are you shopping through?

3. Member
    Poor ride in a Pro XP?

4. Member
    Ozawkie Boats

I didn't say the pro xp was a poor ride. It's my understanding that the elite is a pro xp hull with a phx cap. I was wondering why phoenix felt it necessary to make a hull that rode better than the pro xp, at the expense of speed.

5. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    It is a deeper hull for folks on big water. That's its purpose as I understand it. I think the 721 is the best handling. The Elite is it with a bigger top.

6. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Mine is coming into Anglers Port

7. Member
    Thanks rudapa. You go with the elite?

8. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Yes 921 Elite - been in a 721 since 2012.

9. Member
    Elite offered a different layout option for the proXP hull. Buddy went from a 920xp to a 20PHX and he is a little disappointed with the speed loss but it's not much (1-2mph). Likes the layout better and some of the small features that were only available on the PHX in '18 like the slam latches
    Fish have fins, they swim

10. Member

11. Smallmouth Junkie!
    The PHX models are designed to handle the bigger water. The ride is outstanding in all Phoenix models just pick the boat and layout that fits your type of water and style of fishing and you will be very happy.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

12. Member
    Good stuff. Thanks

13. Member
    PHX all day

14. Member
    I love my Elite, short gunnels, layout, handling, great in skinny water and very stable spot locked in rough water. I’ve rode in a PHX but not in rough conditions. After having my boat at Champlain in really really bad should not be on the water conditions and a freak 20min wind storm middle river on the Chesapeake, I would entertain a PHX for my next boat. I carry so much stuff I’m usually at 70-71mph anyways. My take if you’re a guy that stays in 5ft or less year round the Elite is the way to go. PHX seems to be the Great Lakes boat.
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite | Merc 250 ProXS

15. Member
    Coming from Ranger, I think the PHX will fit your style more. But, you need to get a ride in both to make the final decision. Good luck!

16. Member
    Will say this as well having rode in both the xp and phx hulls a lot. The xp I think is a slightly better turning boat when navigating tight channels under speed
    Fish have fins, they swim

17. Member
    Thanks for all the info fellas

18. Member
    The ProXP is no slouch in big water. I have mine on Erie almost every weekend, and it handles it like it was made for it. When I was deciding between the ProXP and PHX it came down to deck layout. They both are monsters in big water.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

19. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    They do the Elite2 whihc is the Pro XP top with the Elite options

20. Member
    I am wondering the same exact thing. Been in Rangers for over 35 years and can't decide between an elete or PHX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast