How fast should my vintage Stratos go?

Just got my first bass boat; a 1994 Stratos 284 with a 1992 Johnson 120 V4. Running a 17P prop, what top speed could I expect from this setup? I see a lot of boats on here going 50+ but 35 is all I've been able to squeeze out of her. Is that normal or should I be looking for the problem?

2. Member
    The 284 is basically an 18' boat rated for 150 HP so you're underpowered in regards to top speed. You didn't say what shape the prop is in and whether it's aluminum or SS. Also, is it equipped with a jackplate? What is your pad to prop measurement? All these items will impact top speed. Also, you didn't say what your RPM's are at WOT. That would give you an idea of whether you're over or under propped in regards to pitch.

I have a 2000 Ranger R83 which is 1' longer. I have an Evinrude 150 on it running a 23 pitch Renegade Prop (4 blade). My boat is probably a bit heavier than yours and I'm running 57.8 MPH (GPS).

You might be able to play around with pad to prop height, prop pitch etc. but with your motor only being a 120 you're probably looking at low 40's at best in terms of speed. If you're looking for a significant increase in top end speed I wouldn't spend any money on the 120 and start looking for a 150 HP motor to hang on the back. If top speed isn't a priority and the 120 runs good I'd just keep it and enjoy the boat.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

3. Member
    You might want to post your performance question in "Bass Boat Setups". Lots of information there and someone might have a similar boat and motor to advise you. I believe you need to start with your RPM reading when running wide open trimmed out. I would think you need a different prop and or motor height. But post where I suggested for some guidance!

4. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not dissatisfied with the top speed but I'm chasing a performance issue and low top speed is a symptom. WOT rpm is ~4200 which I think is low and I can hear an intermittent miss. I've cleaned the carbs (no rebuild yet) and fixed a fuel pump leak, replaced all the hoses and primer bulb. The top speed question was shot in the dark to tell how bad the problem is. If 40's is all I should expect I'm not that far off (got 37 last time out). Not bad for a 20+ year old boat and motor.