Thread: Buzzbait Mold

Question Buzzbait Mold

Anyone have any experience or good advice for making a silicon mold to pour buzz baits? Any good, informative videos? It would be strictly low volume as I have some ideas I'd like to try and can't find anything commercially available that fits the bill. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    Anyone have any experience or good advice for making a silicon mold to pour buzz baits? Any good, informative videos? It would be strictly low volume as I have some ideas I'd like to try and can't find anything commercially available that fits the bill. Thanks in advance.
    Are you pouring with lead? Are you talking like a silicon mold from alumilite or something like that? If so, I am interested as well. Not for buzzbaits, but for jighead design.

I have concerns with the temp of lead and the resistance of silicon being lower than that temp.

3. Member
    Yes, pouring w/lead. I've looked at Alumilite products, but as far as I can tell, they are only rated for 395 degrees. Lead melting pt. is around 600. There must be something else out there. They make high temp silicon for industrial and automotive applications but I don't know that it is available to make something like a mold.

4. Member
    I have a couple of specialty molds that I made from red high temp silicone. They aren’t perfect but they gey the job done.

5. Member
    Mold Max 60 high temp silicone, from Smooth-On.. Im sure there others available, but I have made 60-80 molds with this product. pm if you have questions..

6. Member
    I watched this video a while ago and it may be what you are looking for...

he uses Mold Max 60 as mentioned above
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

7. Member
    If you want to make molds to test design prototypes using " Durhams water putty " to make 2-part molds is more cost effective . They don't last for many pours but work for proof of concept . Once you're happy with the design and performance or your bait you can make a more expensive silicone or aluminum mold . Durhams is like plaster of paris but tougher .
    You have to make sure mold is completely dry and free of moisture before pouring moulten lead in though .

Here is a link to a write up from years ago on how to do it but unfortunately the pictures are no longer there

Wire Baits
    Last edited by kls2020; 08-31-2021 at 06:37 PM.

8. Member
    Thanks kls2020. I had talked to someone else about using Rock Hard Water Putty. I made a mold over the last couple of days and it does take a long time to dry when used at that thickness. I got a very detailed mold that should let me pour a few and see what I've got. I do have someone that will "print" me a "positive" for a multi-cavity mold if I decide to make one of silicone. Mold Max 60 is what several have suggested. Thanks all.

You might consider buying a standard Do It Mold for making spinner baits, jigs etc. and cutting a slot for your buzz bait wire. Easy modification on lots of good mold choices.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I use bondo to make molds for designing lures. Lasts quite a few pours. Good for prototypes at least.