Roasting Pecans ?

Bought 5 lbs of raw pecans and am messing around roasting them. So far just have done light oil and sea salt as thats typical.. Anyone experiment with alternative spices or flavorings?

I do this. They’re great. Going to put some in the smoker soon. I get 25# every year.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/cinnamon-sugared-pecans/

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I do this. They’re great. Going to put some in the smoker soon. I get 25# every year.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/cinnamon-sugared-pecans/
    Where you getting 25 lbs ? I bought 5 pounds and was quite surprised by the price. Are you cooking them all at once ?

There’s a farm a little east of us that I put in an order from every year. Some I roast, a bunch go into pies, I ship a few pounds to family in NY. They freeze well.

5. Member
    There’s a farm a little east of us that I put in an order from every year. Some I roast, a bunch go into pies, I ship a few pounds to family in NY. They freeze well.
    Gotcha. Seems I remember they are big down south in the GA / FL area. If I unfortunately have to travel im going to pick up a huge sack like that. I will try that recipe you listed.

I get them already shelled. Just easier, costs more but I hate opening them. They sell them cracked with the shell on and the shells are good in the smoker if you don稚 use too many. Try this. I use dark syrup and brown sugar.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/my...5-dc9af537ba7e

7. Member
    I get them already shelled. Just easier, costs more but I hate opening them. They sell them cracked with the shell on and the shells are good in the smoker if you don’t use too many. Try this. I use dark syrup and brown sugar.

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/my...5-dc9af537ba7e
    I will try that... I will add that bacon grease and sea salt is your friend if you want to roast them. Ive been making small batches in my air fryer to get the time / temp correct and they are addictive.

8. Member
    Also when you freeze them do you vac seal them or just put in a container

I had them vac packed but just plain freezer bags work fine. I opened the vac bag, used half, then tossed them back in the freezer. The ones I used later were just dandy. I just use freezer bags now.

10. Member
    FYI Tony Chacheres for the win. This time was a bit of Avacodo oil and seasoning. Give it a try. Next up if I can find it my ranch popcorn seasoning.

I’m going to make a batch in a few minutes. Going to toss them in the MES with Tajin powder. Been doing it with raw peanuts and they come out well.

12. Member
    I’m going to make a batch in a few minutes. Going to toss them in the MES with Tajin powder. Been doing it with raw peanuts and they come out well.
    Ohhhhh Tajin powder sounds good.. I gotta try that.

Just checked them.

Used a couple Tbsp of butter instead of egg. Melted it in the microwave, mixed it up, dumped in a Tbsp of Tajin.

FE701768-6C38-4BD2-9503-4109FE724194.jpeg

Just a small batch. I’m running low. The new ones won’t be out for a few months and I still need to make a pie or two.

These are so damned good I had to put them away or I’d just eat them instead of dinner. I might order 50 pounds this year.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 08-31-2021 at 02:12 PM.

14. Member
    Lightly toss in oil with some curry powder and salt, roast, cool enjoy.

work but worth it: boil them in salted water for 1-2 minutes, while still hot, toss in butter and brown sugar, bake at 350F until candied.