Which hub do I need??

Hello Guys, I am in need of some assistance from the experienced crew here.

I have a mercury optimax 115hp, serial 1B255833, with a Vengeance 48-16988 SS prop.

I have a lower unit rattle when I put my outboard in gear at idle while running on muffs, the clank, clank noise is much more prominent in reverse than forward. Noise goes completely away when the prop is removed. I have not had a chance to go test the motor in the water this season.

I was told it may be prop chatter (I must say this noise was never present in the last 15 years I have owned the motors) and was recommended to upgrade my prop hub kit as I still have the original from 2006. My problem is that while searching part numbers, some diagrams shows the newer hub Flo-Torq SSR 8M0150151 and other diagrams show 835257K1. I believe the 835257K1 is the same one I have right now, but want to know what you recommend, or what you think the noise may be.

Thank you in advance.

2. Member
    835257k9 flo torque 3
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thank you Joe!!

4. Member
    I have been living with serious prop rattle for so long that it was affecting my enjoyment of being in my 75 hp Optimax. After a recommendation on this site I installed a Flo Torq III hub today and the difference is amazing, absolutely no rattle. What a difference! But be aware....this hub is unusual in that it allows the prop to have about 1/8 inch of movement with the shaft, and about 10 degrees of side play. I actually thought I had installed it incorrectly, but as it says in the instructions, this is completely normal. Good luck with your motor.

5. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    @greenfshrmn thanks for the testimony!! This noise has me so worried something is bad with my lower as it never had lower unit noise since the boat was new in 2006, and this started this year after sitting for about a year.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    835257k9 flo torque 3
    My 2012 75hp Optimax came with paper work that stated to use a Flo-torq III hub kit (which I had to buy), a lot of props that fit this engine come with Flo-torq II hub kits. The III is a least twice as much more than the II and Greenfshrmn is correct as well !