2005 Ranger Z21 Verado 250. Prop help

<1B120046>

Just bought this boat and first time Verado owner. Took it out Friday wit a Laser 2 23 pitch and was only turning about 5800 RPM and running in the mid 50s per GPS. I have heard of guys getting these boats and motors up in the low 70s. Where to start? Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-02-2021 at 11:26 PM.

2. Member
    What is gear ratio on that Verado 1.75.1 or other ? The prop you spoke of is way too small for that motor and boat combo

3. Member
    Good starting point for that set up is a 25 tempest not a lazer tempest will help with bow lift as well if jackplate is
    set Pretty close to sweet spot just a prop change you should
    see 67-69 mph then it will be fine tuning

4. Member
    Forgive my ignorance but not sure what the gear ratio is. Is there a way for me to find that?

5. Member
    Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it

6. Member
    I had one of the original Verados (2005), it was on a ProCraft 210 superpro (heavy boat). The Bravo 1 FS was the prop I used on it and it was awesome. Now I have a Ranger Z521C with the Verado Pro and it has a Bravo prop as well.

7. Member
    The bravo is a great prop for
    his rig but I think he was looking for top end speed as well and the tempest will get him a couple more mph on his set up

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiecreek View Post
    Just bought this boat and first time Verado owner. Took it out Friday wit a Laser 2 23 pitch and was only turning about 5800 RPM and running in the mid 50s per GPS. I have heard of guys getting these boats and motors up in the low 70s. Where to start? Any help appreciated.
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

I would start by trying a Bravo-1 or Tempest Plus. The Laser-2 is really not a very good match for this rig.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    My sincere apologies. I was not aware of that. Ignorance on my part. Serial number 1B120046

10. Member
    Prairie i have the exact same boat and motor. I have a Fury 4 25P and only get about 5800 RPM as well and only 65-67 MPH max. The boat has never felt like it lifts out of the water like it should (compared to a buddys Z21 with a 250 Pro XS racing motor), so I've often wondered if i have a trim issue(had to have my trim sensor replaced and not confident the trim levels were set correctly by my dealer) or if i simply have the wrong prop for this set up. I believe with this boat and motor I should be seeing more RPM's.

If you've tested something out and found a good setup please let me know!
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See if you can't find a 24 pitch Fury, or a 24P Tempest Plus to put on it. These engines REALLY want to get up above 6000 RPM's so you can take advantage of the boost the supercharger offers.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

That setup 25 bravo 1 FS
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS