Digital trim issue....or not?

Optimax 250 Pro XS 2B360847
    New to me Optimax with both Smartcraft Speedo and Tach. Trim reading is all over the place and doesn't repeat when in the same position. I recalibrated the gauge using full down, up, and trailering positions. If I trim up or down, the number bounces all over the place and changes with no trim movement. Is this typical of digital trim? Another issue that I'm having is with old eyes, the Smartcraft info is very hard to read. I thought of adding a SC100 trim gauge, but if it also acts that erratic, maybe it wouldn't be worth adding.
    Last edited by jerzia; 08-29-2021 at 05:31 PM.

2. Member
    I'd suggest removing the sender from the port side of the motor, remove the central hub , check for corrosion or moisture inside. Clean it out and reassemble. Also be sure the mounting screws are good and snug when reassembling as shifting of the sender assembly can give erratic readings.

3. Member
    Analog sender has 2 wires, digital has 3. Also check to see if trilobe pin is missing, if it is, trim won't read correctly.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not really recommended that senders be disassembled, but they can be (by that point the sender is usually toast).

Check the three (3) wires from the digital sender and confirm they have CLEAN bullet connectors, that the connectors are fully inserted (male to female), and that the WIRE COLORS MATCH (yellow to yellow, blue to blue, Black to Black w/Orange Stripe).

THERE SHOULD BE NOTHING connected to the brown w/white stripe wire connector.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not really recommended that senders be disassembled, but they can be (by that point the sender is usually toast).

Check the three (3) wires from the digital sender and confirm they have CLEAN bullet connectors, that the connectors are fully inserted (male to female), and that the WIRE COLORS MATCH (yellow to yellow, blue to blue, Black to Black w/Orange Stripe).

THERE SHOULD BE NOTHING connected to the brown w/white stripe wire connector.
    Everything is good that you suggested but still trim gauge is not right. I've done the re calibration procedure numerous times and yet it still doesn't repeat. The weird thing is, at times the bottom position reads 1.0 but the next 3.2 etc, etc. Then it will go back to 1.0. Sender bad?

6. Member
    Is the tri-lobe pin installed?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Is the tri-lobe pin installed?
    Yes it is.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Replace trim sender.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I kind of thought that’s where it was headed. Does it have to be adjusted like the analog sender?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NO adjustment whatsoever.

The instrument should be calibrated to match the sender.

11. Member
    Thanks much!

12. Member
    Is the starboard cross pin bushing still in place in the swivel bracket?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Is the starboard cross pin bushing still in place in the swivel bracket?
    Sorry, I just saw this, yes it is.

14. Member
    Replaced the trim sender, problem solved!