Ida and the Basin

Doesn't look good for the Atchafalaya Basin. Hope we don't have another Andrew.

2. Member
    It’s not doing so well as it is…. After Andrew was the best fishing ever in the basin..

3. Member
    I was thinking the same.
    It will be interesting.

4. Member
    We're not getting hit to bad over here. Doesn't mean there won't be a fish kill but as of right now the worst of it is missing us. Prayers go out to everyone east of us here.

5. Member
    Hope everyone is well and no major damage. We faired well here in Pville hope my camp on Belle river faired well also..will ride out tomorrow after the roads are cleared to check on it. Good Luck to All

6. Member
    We faired okay I'm Geismar. Personally no structural damage of any kind, thank God, but se folks I'm my neighborhood had roof damage. Fences downed, and trees fell over.
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

7. Member
    My place in Venetian isles/chef pass got wrecked pretty bad.. storm surge tore my garage to pieces… house survived, just my garage below is wrecked… surge and winds tried pushing my boat thru the back wall, wedged in the double doors, making a dam… piles of marsh grass and all kinds of junk…. Lost garage door, lost all kinds of stuff…. I prepped for 3 feet, got almost 5…. Surge was around 8 feet at my best guess..

water is gone, no power of course, and lots of cleanup ahead… took me all day yesterday and most of today just to dig my boat out the garage….

I’m only doing minimal cleanup for now, packing up and headed north somewhere to go camp and fish… thinking red river, or darbonne or caney…. Ive never ever fished a reservoir..

its gonna be a bit here before power gets restored and resources like gas and groceries come back… I was supposed to be in Texas yesterday for a job, that didn’t happen.. I’ll camp and fish until I find another job to go to.. this place doesn’t need me here to babysit it…

8. Member
    Form what I’ve heard Basin faired well I haven’t been yet going tomorrow to check on camp. No electricity so not staying neighbor went Tuesday said it didn’t look bad at all few limbs but nothing major. Low tidal surge. Just no power.

9. Member
    Doing well here. I just had a few shingles off my house and shop and some siding. Two trees down in my yard but no damage. Very lucky and blessed. Water was out for a day and a half. Now, we just wait for power to be restored and try to clean-up/fix what we can. FIL’s camp in Cocodrie was pretty much totaled. Really thinking on making a move somewhere to not have to go through something like this again. Tired of being worried about life and property just about every Aug/Sept.

10. Member
    We faired pretty well in St. Amant. I have some concrete siding that blew off the gable on the west side of my house, but otherwise no damage. Me, my nlaws, and family all have trees downs, so we’ve been picking up for the last few days. Still no power, but I have a generator and a few window units to cool the house off in the evening. In-laws are staying here for the week, so we’ve been managing.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post
    It’s not doing so well as it is…. After Andrew was the best fishing ever in the basin..
    You must be a young feller if you think the best fishing in the basin was after Andrew

12. Member
    That was the first year I fished the spillway alot, as I got back from Desert Shield.
    Just came home and used the money I saved to buy my first boat from the Old Man at Cooper Marine.
    That man was great he sold me a 16ft Fisher Marsh Hawk Aluminium Boat with 25 hp for exactly what I had saved up for a boat.
    The week before Andrew I bought a new 40 hp 3 cylinder Mariner with a jackplate.
    Boat went from 28 mph to 45 mph on the water.

That night we were fishing in Bayou Sorrel and kept pushing staying on the water as the bass were biting the best I ever seen them bite.
    We got back to the landing around 8:30 pm as the wind picked up and it was one of the few times I saw a tiny chop going back to the landing.

All I can say was it was a fun and every place I thought they did not have fish, we caught fish.

Got home, National Guard Activated me, and I spent a fun filled night between Morgan City and New Iberia where Andrew hit.

13. Member
    Went to Bayou Sorrel and they only water I found was in the back that looked decent.
    No perfect green algae water. It was a shade muddier than that not by much. Just was not perfect which is off for this time of year.
    Did fish toward the front canals and there was a good bit of 10" or smaller Scaliat in the back of deadend canals.
    Bass wise if you call a 10" bass a bass then you can load up on them toward the front again toward the back of canals on a red worm, Texas Rigged.
    Not going to knock it as it was fun and back to back action.
    To save on worms after a few I would bite the top off and the worm went from an 8" worm to a 5" worm in no time as a few canals the bass were bam bam bam next to each other.

Was alittle pissed one trailer bunk board tried to float away and I caught it before it sank when backing in the boat.
    Lost the bolts and the wood where the hole was rotten no big deal.
    Used rope to hold the wood down to the trailer, so I could get home and changed out the boards.
    I know Tracker does not use treated wood and you got to watch that.
    I am the same way as I had pitting issue on the bottom of my last aluminum boat.
    Anyway fixed that problem and I was lucky I did not lose my boat on the highway.

At least we know there did not seem to be a fish kill in Bayou Sorrel Oilfield Canals North of Bayou Piegon.
    Last edited by jlsch1; 09-27-2021 at 12:25 PM.

14. Member
    Good to hear. Hope you can get your trailer fixed up quick. Thanks for the report.

15. Member
    Took me around 30 minutes and I put the new boards are on the boat.
    The brackets are welded so there was no adjusting or brackets to deal with.

I will probably go back this weekend if it is not a down pour or alot of lighting.