Repainting Trailer

Does anyone have any experience with painting their own trailer as a DIY project.? I'm interested in a dull black, similar to rubberized product or armor coat of some sort. Currently, the gloss black paint on my tandem axel trailer is decent, but could be cleaned up. After washing it still has some dull spots so wanting to try a different look.

What product works best. Thanks all

2. Member
    What type of trailer, channel or tube? I painted mine with twp part epoxy paint and primer. Mine is a tube trailer.
    was debating on what to use. I used epoxy paint over the rubberized coating. It is a matter of choice. Rubberized coating makes it harder to see when a trailer is rusting under the applied finish.

3. Member
    It's a fairly standard channel trailer, dual axel for 21 foot boat. It doesn't look bad currently, just wanting a different look. I see several newer boats have a dull looking rubberized or armor coating of some sort. I kind of like the dull look.

4. Member
    Yes.....with Raptorliner..... Very easy to use and very tough stuff if you do the prep.

Started here....
    0427211123.jpg
    Primed....
    0427211525.jpg

0507211455a~2.jpg

Now....

0828210749~3.jpg

5. Member
    Outstanding! IMG_1994.JPG

6. Member
    Thank you Jerzia ....👍 Kind of "is what it is," but, certainly a loooooooong way up from where it was.....😉

My advice is to figure out what YOU like and go for it! I studied a LOT of pics via the net.... saved the ones i liked.....then reviewed over and over to lock down what I wanted to attempt to create.....then just went for it.

I gained a LOT of knowledge from many on BBC and from other sites. Then really studied Raptorliner (specifically "tintable") the "how's"....ordered up the materials and dove in the deep end trusting I could swim. It's VERY tough stuff and turned out really nice. It's REALLY easy to spray....fast too.

7. Member
    Agreed.. That looks outstanding. Solid work..!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weiglein4 View Post
    Agreed.. That looks outstanding. Solid work..!
    Muchos Gracias Mr Weigle.....👍

9. Member
    I have the answer! I just repurchased a boat/trailer I originally bought new in 1995 and the painted trailer, surprisingly enough, was in great shape with only some surface rust "specs". I just did a rough 80 grit sanding with a DA sander and coated the entire thing with Truck Bedliner. It was simple and can be rolled or sprayed on. Bought the cheap stuff at Harbor Freight for about $50 for a gallon but they have spray cans also. Took just a few hours (after all the hard part was done, the sanding) and now it's a flat black and any scrape can easily be touched up and it's non skid. 1 Gallon was more than enough for my 18' boat's trailer. Win Win!