Is mega SI necessary?

All the videos I show when searching an area with side imaging are using the 455 hertz transducer. That is the only thing I mainly do with side imaging. I was looking at getting a humminbird with mega si but may just get a larger unit than i have if i'm going to only be needing 455. whats the opinion on this? thanks

2. Member
    455 has more range potential and the Mega has much more detail. I love my Mega. The 455 can find rocky spots further away from the boat the mega can tell you if the fish are there. At least based on my skill with the electronics.

3. Member
    My humminbird mega si looks like the water has been removed and I’m looking at the bottom. I find it incredible. The limitation is display size.

The Humminbird MEGA SI units in the Helix 8-15 sizes have three Imaging frequencies--455 kHz/CHIRPed, 800 kHz/CHIRPed, and 1200 kHz/CHIRPed. SOLIX units have the same.

The Helix 7 MEGA SI unit have two Imaging frequencies, don't have the 800 kHz/CHIRPed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by buckmaster27012 View Post
    All the videos I show when searching an area with side imaging are using the 455 hertz transducer. That is the only thing I mainly do with side imaging. I was looking at getting a humminbird with mega si but may just get a larger unit than i have if i'm going to only be needing 455. whats the opinion on this? thanks
    The only way to not get the MEGA frequency is to get a first generation Helix or number series unit, or ONIX.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL