High FOC arrow builds

Any of you bow hunters changed over to the high foc arrows? I think I am going to make the change. After watching some of the ranch fairy videos and reading up in it. I am still somewhat confused as to what weight I should strive for. I am going to order the RF field point assortment to get me started. I already purchased some 300 spine arrows and have them ready to go.

I shoot Golt Tip 340s and finished with a 100 grain head they weigh 500 grains. i like a heavy arrow, quiets the bow down, packs more momentum energy etc.
    i use Gold Tip Fact system for mine. i put an extra 100 grains up front. have for years and have never had any issues at all. My bows seem to tune better with a heavy arrow also but im also not pushing a ton a speed. around 260-270 is where i want to be at speed wise, 280 at max but i also like to tune with a fixed BH also.

3. Member
    I just use the same arrows I have been using for years. If I have any accuracy issues it is me and not my equipment.

4. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I shoot Golt Tip 340s and finished with a 100 grain head they weigh 500 grains. i like a heavy arrow, quiets the bow down, packs more momentum energy etc.
    i use Gold Tip Fact system for mine. i put an extra 100 grains up front. have for years and have never had any issues at all. My bows seem to tune better with a heavy arrow also but im also not pushing a ton a speed. around 260-270 is where i want to be at speed wise, 280 at max but i also like to tune with a fixed BH also.
    What draw length are you? Sounds close to what I am going to shoot for. I am 29" and shooting at 60#'s.

5. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I just use the same arrows I have been using for years. If I have any accuracy issues it is me and not my equipment.
    It's not so much about accuracy as penetration and the ability for the arrow to make up for less than ideal placement. Read up on some of it here. It may not be for you but it makes sense to me.

https://www.grizzlystik.com/new-to-high-foc-arrows

https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/get-started

6. Member
    Quite a few years ago I shot competitive 3-D archery tournaments all over the US. I and a couple others shot Easton ACE arrows. They are very very high quality shafts and barrel shaped for more forgiveness. I shot a light arrow with a heavy point, The total arrow weight was about 325 grains and had a 100 grain point. These arrows flew like darts and had little wind drift and great consistency even on poor shooter execution. FOC does make a big difference. But like anything you still have to do your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    What draw length are you? Sounds close to what I am going to shoot for. I am 29" and shooting at 60#'s.
    i shoot a 30" draw length. i have been shooting a heavy arrow for quite a few years.
    i did the light arrow to get more speed thing but there isnt a bow or arrow combo out there that can match the reflexes of a deer. and that arrow isnt as fast as sound.
    ill take a quieter bow over a faster arrow any day.

8. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I used the RF assortment pack. Results were a little surprising. As I went heavier the bow got quieter, arrow slower and more arrow drop. I shoot a single pin, so too much arrow drop for me becomes an issue. The surprising part was that as I was trying different weights side by side, I was noticing a certain arrow kept getting more penetration than other weights, it wasn't the heaviest arrow. I think it was the 575 grain total arrow weight gave me much better penetration than the 600 up to 700+ arrow.

I settled on 550 total arrow weight. I forget what my FOC is, but I do have added weight up front.

I shoot a Mathews Triax, 72lb 29" draw. 30" arrows with a 250 spine
    Thanos was the hero

9. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I used the RF assortment pack. Results were a little surprising. As I went heavier the bow got quieter, arrow slower and more arrow drop. I shoot a single pin, so too much arrow drop for me becomes an issue. The surprising part was that as I was trying different weights side by side, I was noticing a certain arrow kept getting more penetration than other weights, it wasn't the heaviest arrow. I think it was the 575 grain total arrow weight gave me much better penetration than the 600 up to 700+ arrow.

I settled on 550 total arrow weight. I forget what my FOC is, but I do have added weight up front.

I shoot a Mathews Triax, 72lb 29" draw. 30" arrows with a 250 spine
    That is interesting but not at all surprising. Do you want to part with the RF test pack?

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    That is interesting but not at all surprising. Do you want to part with the RF test pack?
    My youngest son just bought a pack to try also. My oldest son shoots a 75 or 100 grain insert in his arrow for better penetration and FOC, He is bowhunting caribou as I type.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

11. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    My youngest son just bought a pack to try also. My oldest son shoots a 75 or 100 grain insert in his arrow for better penetration and FOC, He is bowhunting caribou as I type.
    Sweet. That's on my bucket list. Where is he? I assume Alaska?

12. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Sweet. That's on my bucket list. Where is he? I assume Alaska?
    Yes Alaska, he was in Coldfoot Alaska yesterday.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

13. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

Already gave it away
    Thanos was the hero

14. Moderator
    Well I am a believer after tonight. I stumbled into a gun shop about 2 hours from my house a few weeks ago as it turned out to have one of the best bow shops I have been to in the back. They were big on high foc and had all the equipment. We built some 300 spine hunter xt arrows with 100 grain inserts and 100 grain broad heads. I had them cut to 29-1/2”. I can remember the exact numbers but I am around 525 grains and 16-17%foc. They wanted me to shoot 30” or even 31” to get closer to 18%. I already had these cut so that’s what we started with.

I had a full pass through on a doe tonight at 17 yards. Granted it was an easy quartering away shot that hopefully any bow hunter will make but there was no issue passing through the shoulder blade on the back side. Blood trail started within 5-10’ of where I hit her and she was piled up 75 yards down the hill.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    12-15% for conventional compound but more for recurve. The age old argument is speed vs KE. Its been proven time and time again that speed is more accurate for unknown ranges as the margin of error (arrow drop) is less. Penetration studies also show KE and Speed have basically the same penetration. For me I shoot a 425g hunting arrow and about 11%. As your FOC increases so to does you MOE for yardage errors. NOT a fan of big FOC% and it shows most at longer yardages. At 20-30 it really does not matter that much.
    6-8gpp hunting arrows work perfect. The exception to the rule is on Very Big Game like Moose. Then I want heavy AND Fast!
    Last edited by BOW4UM; 10-01-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri