Illinois River Smallies again!

Got in the Kayak last Sunday with the Grandson for a morning float.
    Not too many folks out that day and had a great time.
    Caught over a dozen on top water only as it was a fun fishing day.
    Had several terrific strikes with no hookup.
    Waded the river for several hours to cool down and finished by 2.
    One good spotted bass for me and one little flathead catfish for the grandson.
    One Bald Eagle we got to see up close and personal.
    Another good day on the water.

Awesome...I finally got to wet a line last night after a long two months of COVID then random Honey Do's appeared on my list. Sure was good to be on the water regardless of the heat. Ended up with a good Walleye out of Hefner. Had enough fun...gonna try it again tonight. Tight lines!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

3. Member
    Good for you. It does feel nice after waiting so long.
    Glad you are feeling better.

4. Member
    What's your setup for getting back to your put in spot.

5. Member
    Floated with an outfitter, Riverside Resort. $25 per Kayak. End up at their camp-put in at Chewey Bridge.
    Otherwise, with My own Kayak I have one buddy to float with and we park one downstream at takeout after we drop off our kayaks upstream. Then return to takeoff leaving one truck parked. We vary our put ins and take outs all up and down the river.
    September/October there is no one on the river during the week and damn few on the weekends.
    Sunday when we put in, we were the first and only 2 at 8:20. They had 4 more later that day and that was it.
    They had 148 on Saturday.
    Some outfitters will let you ferry your kayak with them so you can leave your car/truck with them and they will take Kayaks upstream. Some don’t do this on weekends during high season-so call ahead. Peyton’s place has done this before.
    Some put in and seek a hitchhike back to their truck after they takeout.
    We have never had a problem yet.

6. Member
    Thanks

7. Member
    Went again this last Sunday with the wife.
    Got a good little downpour on us for about 20 minutes halfway through the float.
    She took it well and we just kept paddling.
    Stopped and caught a few smallies in the rain.
    She caught 3 smallies and hooked a gar. Thank goodness it got off on its own.
    Great day on the water together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Went again this last Sunday with the wife.
    Got a good little downpour on us for about 20 minutes halfway through the float.
    She took it well and we just kept paddling.
    Stopped and caught a few smallies in the rain.
    She caught 3 smallies and hooked a gar. Thank goodness it got off on its own.
    Great day on the water together.
    That gar would've entertaining.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

9. Member
    Hit the Illinois River with my SIL yesterday after a fair dove hunt the day before.
    Long float, lots of smallmouth and a few spots .
    Water was clear and cool for the first half of the float so we spent a lot of time up there.
    Low water flow and south wind were impediments to paddling the last half when we had to make up time.
    Total-8 hours on the water and 80+ fish. Lots of fun to have the SIL back up from Texas to spend time together.
    Thought I had a new subspecies of smallmouth when I caught one that was charcoal black.
    No phone on me for a pic!
    Steaks on the grill to cap the night.

Edit: we put in at 10 a.m. and did not see a single kayak on the river all day when we got off at 6:15. Amazing.

Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend.

10. Member
    I know you were joking about the subspecies but you were most likely catching a subspecies all along and didn't realize (or maybe you do). Illinois river is home to the neosho river subspecies. If you haven't heard of them Google it. They are only in this region though the lower end of the river is crossed with the Tennessee strain they put in tenkiller years ago I live on the Arkansas side and fish many little tributaries and they are full of them.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11justin22 View Post
    I know you were joking about the subspecies but you were most likely catching a subspecies all along and didn't realize (or maybe you do). Illinois river is home to the neosho river subspecies. If you haven't heard of them Google it. They are only in this region though the lower end of the river is crossed with the Tennessee strain they put in tenkiller years ago I live on the Arkansas side and fish many little tributaries and they are full of them.
    Interesting. I was not aware of the separate subspecies. They are distinctively black and marked heavily and fight like hell. Most I catch are the typical brown bass look with very little striping or marking. I will definitely get a pic next time out, if I am lucky enough to catch one.