Residue on bunkboard

I notice a couple of times streaks of white residue on my bunkboard after launching the boat. Is it gell coat rubbing off? is this normal?

It's gel, and kind of normal. Your going to want to wipe down the bunks vigorously to remove sand or worse stones
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Thank you sir, kinda got worried when reading about blisters and such

I have found a "tire brush" has enough stiffness in the bristles that I can launch my boat, and then scrub the bunks and this releases a lot of sand and loosens up the carpet so it is once again soft vs laid down and matted
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    I'm fairly sure it's the white keel guard rubbing on your bunk. When you start to load slightly off-center it's the keel guard that makes first contact with the bunk. It's nothing to worry about.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    I'm fairly sure it's the white keel guard rubbing on your bunk. When you start to load slightly off-center it's the keel guard that makes first contact with the bunk. It's nothing to worry about.
    This makes sense, the residue does track off center on the bunk boards. I will check the keel guard next time. Thank you

And I will scrub bunk board to get residue and any sand or stones out of them.

I have a black keel guard and still get some of those white marks. Start looking at trailers parked you will see it alot. Chines running up on boards is where I see my marks.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I have a black keel guard and still get some of those white marks. Start looking at trailers parked you will see it alot. Chines running up on boards is where I see my marks.
    This is my first newest boat I've owned and my previous boat never showed these marks, so to me, it sets me up to worry about it. I have noticed this from before and just wasn't ready to admit to it, thinking it was my wrong doing.

My previous boat was close to 1000 pounds lighter also.

9. Member
    Thanks to all input on this. I checked the keel guard and did see rubbing marks at the bottom. I also took a stiff brush to the bunk boards today after launching and what a difference it looked. I did see a bunch of sand/dirt come off of it and some larger particles as well.

that sand and dirt will grind on the gelcoat over time. Consider looking at Gatorbaks when you replace your bunks. I put them on my new 2021.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team