Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drop Shot Baitcasting Setup

I recently started throwing a drop shot with a lot of success and wondered if anyone uses a casting setup to do it. I’ve had a Shimano Crucial 7’ M DropShot rod sitting in the corner for a while now and just traded for a Shimano Curado 50E. I’m hoping to make this into my casting Drop Shot combo. Thoughts?? What line should I use? Braid to leader?

A few fellow anglers including myself have started converting over to baitcasting setups for throwing a dropshot. I have a Megabass P5 Bait Finessel paired with a Daiwa Yellow Pixy that I have tricked out. 20 pound braid to an 8 or 6 pound fluoro leader. Haven't put it through its paces yet but should be a really fun combo to throw.

It works, though in my opinion it's not the best way to skin that cat for your every day drop shotting. The main issue I found in trying it with a more standard drop shot (it works great for a heavy duty drop shot) is that it's much more difficult to get the bait to fall straight down with casting gear than spinning gear anytime I'm casting to water deeper than maybe 10 feet which I'm doing a lot. This was with a Daiwa SS Air paired to a ML rod, so a true BFS setup. I also found I tend to overwork the bait with a casting rod, though that just may be a personal thing.

That said, if you're someone who drops on fish regularly, I feel like going to a casting setup may actually even preferred to a spinning setup.

Definitely braid to a leader in any case.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    It works, though in my opinion it's not the best way to skin that cat for your every day drop shotting. The main issue I found in trying it with a more standard drop shot (it works great for a heavy duty drop shot) is that it's much more difficult to get the bait to fall straight down with casting gear than spinning gear anytime I'm casting to water deeper than maybe 10 feet which I'm doing a lot. This was with a Daiwa SS Air paired to a ML rod, so a true BFS setup. I also found I tend to overwork the bait with a casting rod, though that just may be a personal thing.

That said, if you're someone who drops on fish regularly, I feel like going to a casting setup may actually even preferred to a spinning setup.

Definitely braid to a leader in any case.
    Good info! I fish it much more shallow and have not gotten to the point of catching fish vertically. Since I’m casting to the bank or points more often with it, I thought it would be easier to hit my target. I primarily fish 1/8-3/8oz weights. I’ll try to grab a spool of braid and see what I can do! Thanks

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I use an old Loomis 822C DSR and a Curado 50E on the St Lawrence to drag a dropshot around. When it's not doing that, it's my wacky senko rod.

I use an NRX 822S DSR for vertical "drop it on their heads" fishing.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I use an old Loomis 822C DSR and a Curado 50E on the St Lawrence to drag a dropshot around. When it's not doing that, it's my wacky senko rod.

I use an NRX 822S DSR for vertical "drop it on their heads" fishing.
    What line do you prefer. I just got the reel and haven’t thrown a lure on it yet.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    What line do you prefer. I just got the reel and haven’t thrown a lure on it yet.
    Mine is spooled with 30 lb Sufix 832 and I normally use a 10 lb fluoro leader.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

No need to get too fancy about it. If you’re using casting gear to dropshot, you’re giving up on the finesse concept and bringing in the big gun. All a dropshot is, is another way to put the bait in the fish’s face. You’re trying to get the bait above the bottom vegetation or silt or whatever. It’s also a good bed fishing presentation…something different.

When I go to casting gear for dropshot, I’m casting into grassy areas that aren’t mats. I use my 7’2” Shimano Crucial and regular 15# fluorocarbon with an appropriate size hook for the bait selection and a pegged lead bullet weight (no need for titanium here) so it can be moved up and down. I used every kind of bait from a GYB Shad Shape Worm to a 7” swim tail worm to a Sweet Beaver on this rig. I just think of it as an alternative to the T-Rig or C-Rig.

BTW, I do still use spinning gear for more clear deep water presentations.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    I use a Phenix Feather 7’1” ML, Daiwa Alphas SV with 7 lb Sniper. It works well, although for light finesse it is a little harder to work the bait properly. You can make a more refined finesse action better with a spinning rod where you use your hand/fingers more - rather than a baitcaster which is more wrist/forearm. You have to focus on more of a dragging action than twitching, otherwise you can over work the bait. Once hooked, I much prefer a baitcaster for fighting the fish, especially if you need to get it out and away from cover.
    Last edited by FryDog62; 08-27-2021 at 01:14 PM.

10. Member
    I have switched to using baitcasting for dropshot virtually 100% of the time. 1 major advantage I have noticed is that you maintain better contact with the bait as it is falling and have felt and caught a significant number a bites as the bait is falling. I don't understand the need for it to fall perfectly vertical. What food source is going to swim straight to the bottom? And depending on how wide open you have the reel set, you get a pretty vertical fall. It's not an issue with any other traditional bottom bait you use with a baitcaster. If it's an issue, cast a few feet farther.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

11. Member
    BTW, I also use a Phenix Feather ML 7'1". Same rod I use for my spinning dropshot rig.

12. Member
    I "power shot or bubba shot" quite a bit during the spawn around cypress trees and pads. I have found a 7'3 or 7'4 med hvy rod with a little bit softer tip, something like the Duckett Micro Magic, just to get an idea. 15 lb fluoro and 1/4 oz weight. about a 6-7 inch leader.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

13. Member
    Curado BFS with Expride BFS rod
    2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS - HDS Carbon 16 & HDS Carbon 12 - Minn Kota Ultrex

14. Member
    Alphas air TW with edge silver widow 721 dropshot casting rod.

I prefer a spinning rod and reel, mostly due to the better/smoother drag of a spinning reel.

If I did go with a casting rod I would choose the the GLX 842 or GLX 892.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
    Alphas air TW with edge silver widow 721 dropshot casting rod.
    I found the spinning version of the 721 is there a link to the casting model? Thx

17. Member
    I tried the baitcast dropshot years ago to get away from using braid with a leader . I hated the leader knot banging thru the guides every cast and lost fish when the knot failed a few times . I bought a Lamiglas XPC 702 drop shot special rated 4-10 lb line paired with a Daiwa TDX 103 HVA spooled with straight #8 fluorocarbon (no braid - fluoro knot ) . I upgraded the spool bearings to ceramic and added a carbontex drag washer as well . I caught a 20 Lb limit on that rig anchored by a 7.4 lb Lm one trip . Despite the upgrade to the drag system the drag system was the weak link in the setup . I was fishing for spotted bass with that rig with 6 lb test and the drag just wasn't up to the task . I like the feel with the casting rod and no leader knots to contend with but all in all I feel the spinning for drop shot is superior due to the better drag for lighter lines with the spinning rod

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kls2020 View Post
    I tried the baitcast dropshot years ago to get away from using braid with a leader . I hated the leader knot banging thru the guides every cast and lost fish when the knot failed a few times . I bought a Lamiglas XPC 702 drop shot special rated 4-10 lb line paired with a Daiwa TDX 103 HVA spooled with straight #8 fluorocarbon (no braid - fluoro knot ) . I upgraded the spool bearings to ceramic and added a carbontex drag washer as well . I caught a 20 Lb limit on that rig anchored by a 7.4 lb Lm one trip . Despite the upgrade to the drag system the drag system was the weak link in the setup . I was fishing for spotted bass with that rig with 6 lb test and the drag just wasn't up to the task . I like the feel with the casting rod and no leader knots to contend with but all in all I feel the spinning for drop shot is superior due to the better drag for lighter lines with the spinning rod
    Is the Daiwa TDX 103 HVA a BFS reel? BFS reels generally have lower max drag and are smoother at lower drag settings in my experience. I've caught 4 lb strippers on my Ned rig BFS on 6 lb and had no issues with the drag. 4 lb stripper will pull drag harder than any largemouth, smallmouth or spot.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    I found the spinning version of the 721 is there a link to the casting model? Thx
    The casting model isn't cataloged anymore so you have to call them directly to get it. They had a couple in stock when I ordered mine a few months back.

20. Member
    4 Lb strippers pulling drag ? How do you keep the dollar bills from tearing off the hook? I think you must have meant "Stripers " ? (sorry couldn't help myself )
    Daiwa TDX 103 HVA is not a BFS baitcaster just the smallest lightest reel I had . A Daiwa Pixy is most likely a BFS rated reel but is rare and kind of pricey . I see in Japan they do a lot of upgrades to old Ambassadeur 2500C's so they can handle lighter lines and baits .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast