Thread: Hard shutdown

Hard shutdown

2012 200 Pro XS 1B864157

The other morning after fishing a spot for about 20 minutes I went to take off and I got the hard beep and shutdown. I keyed off and restarted. Cycled through smartcraft looking for any warnings but found nothing. Then later that day it happened again. I noticed that upon starting I have no water pressure for about 20 seconds and then it slowly increases to about 4 lbs. I think I may have put it in gear before my water pressure had stabilized thus the hard shutdown. Time for a new impeller? Is my thinking on the correct path?
    Thanks.
    2012 Ranger Z119 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    yes possibly how long since last replaced ?????? livewells running + graphs ????? check batt voltage , have faults read at dealer level
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Brand new battery, nothing else was running. I thought I was due to get replaced last fall, but dealer said not due. It will definitely be done this year. In the meantime I will have to be very cautious taking off. At wide open 5700rpm water pressure is 14.5 . It just lags at startup. Almost 15 seconds before it begins to pee out the back. Another 30 to 45 before water pressure gets above 2. Then it will sit at 4 idling.

4. Member
    clean screen for cooling water to compressor
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Yep clean compressor strainer and service the water pump, if you never replaced it yet.

I just checked with my dealer ( Mercury Premier). Water pump has been done every other year since new. So it's due this year. He said that I should bring it by at my convenience unless it gets worse. Then to bring it right in. Better to err on the side of caution. Thanks

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Read owner's manual for Water Pump service interval.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "Hard Shutdown"- but the PCM on your engine (despite it's advanced Guardian capabilities) does NOT have the ability to turn your engine OFF.

If the engine turns OFF, it's due to an engine problem, OR an electrical problem resulting in loss of power from the keyswitch/lanyard signal/etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
    I just checked with my dealer ( Mercury Premier). Water pump has been done every other year since new.
    Service interval is annual or 100hrs whichever comes first. See the Annual Maintenance topic in the FAQ at top of forum for detailed list of things to be checked, serviced, and replaced annually.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

When I got a complete loss of power, I turned off the key. Regarding the annual service, as I only average about 30 hours a year he felt it was a waste of money to replace water pump annually. I agreed. The boat will be in the shop shortly. Thank you for the comments.

10. Member
    complete as in engine died ???????

Yes Joe. I'll let the dealer read the fault codes. Spoke with him about what happened. I'm located at my summer home, he's 2 hrs away about 2 miles from my winter home.