Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    yes sir why zero issue leaving it plugged in 24/7

Zero issue would be unplugged.

Absolute zero chance of a battery/charger malfunction and a power supply backfeed causing an issue.

Near zero issues when plugged in continuously as anything mechanical or electrical is always subject to a possible failure.

Charge overnight, unplug, plug back in night before a trip.

My 2 cents

Good Luck

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barkleyhawggitter View Post
    I did for years and then I stopped doing it several years ago. I have seen no difference in battery longevity or performance. When they are fully charged I leave unplugged now.
    Me too.

3. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Once I'm solid green and turn off the power (Alexa) if I turn it back on 5 minutes later or 14 days later the chargers goes red and within a minute or 2 blinking green, and then solid green. I can't see any value in exercising my charger 24X7.

4. Member
    Maybe I am brilliant, but I use a timer for my house lamps on my charger. In doing so, I have it come on for an hour and half each day. Always keeps battery topped off and doesn't run 24-7.

5. mikesxpress
    A timer adds yet another electronic component to the charging circuit that is susceptible to power surge/lightening strikes. AGMs/lead acid batteries that are wired correctly with disconnects that eliminate any parasitic draw will retain that charge indefinitely.
    My 4 Odyssey group 31's get charged when I return home and then unplugged. During deer season the boat may sit for a month+. Plug the Delta Volt 4 bank up the night before a trip, and in minutes the green flashing conditioning phase is complete and solid green light appear. Nothing else for the charger to do. There is no mysterious "maintenance" mode. The only reason for the Delta Volt to charge again, if left plugged up, is if there would be a sensed voltage drop requiring it to charge again. That's not going to happen if your batteries are totally disconnected from the boat systems. I went a step further and removed the charger from the boat eliminating weight/gained space and saves wear/tear on the charger you don't need onboard while fishing.
    *I used to leave the boat plugged in 24/7 many years ago when electrolyte filled batteries and crappy chargers were the norm. Current technology eliminates the need to do that.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-29-2021 at 05:49 AM.

Before I got lithiums I used to but not anymore - no need to.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Right now I charge until all solid green, then unplug. I have the DeltaVolt gauge installed on my boat and can monitor my 4 batteries status at anytime from my phone.
    Last edited by RngrBill; 08-31-2021 at 04:26 AM.

8. Banned
    24/7

9. Member
    I charge as soon as I get home, unplug when charged, and plug in the night before going fishing. I also use a disconnect to eliminate parasitic draw.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Charge my AGMs until the charger goes into maintenance mode. No need to leave it plugged in.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    My DualPro 4 bank Delta Volt on-board charger is mounted on the wall. Plugged up till they are all green and then disconnected. Plug it up the night before a trip.
    Does nothing for the batteries to stay plugged up 24/7.
    I did that for years. Disconnecting it and reconnecting it starts the battery conditioner (flashing green lights) is the benefit. Reduced opportunity for power surge/lightening strike issues.
    Dual pro told me to always leave plugged in 24/7. The charger actually helps maintain the batteries.

12. Member
    In addition to the smart features of my charger I use a timer at the wall outlet to cut off power totally after 8 or 9 hours usually.

13. Member
    Before Lithiums it was 24/7 but the monthly top offs got annoying at best and a pain when over filled and leaks and dedicated runs to the store for distilled water.

Now, Lithiums get plugged in the before fishing or sometimes they dont and I get a 2nd of 3rd day out of a charge.

14. Member
    I plug em up, when charged, unplug. I always have, I just don’t want to risk a fire inside my garage, especially when there are no hard wired smoke detectors connected to inside our home.

15. Member
    ill usually leave mine on for a couple days then unplug. my onboard charger gets warm even when on maintenance mode so i unplug it once fully charged i usually plug it back in the night before i plan to go out if i remember to though im sure that makes no difference

i also have a 4 bank that maintains my other batteries on the bench (ice fishing batteries etc) which ill leave plugged in most of the time but will unplug it for a few weeks at a time to mainly give the charger some down time.

both chargers are noco brand... 1 on board 3 bank and 1 4 bank G4 charger.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

I unplug mine because everyone would laugh at me when I show up at the ramp in the morning dragging an extension cord, outlet and piece of vinyl siding.......

17. Member
    Not now, running Relions, only plug them in the night before I take the boat out to top them off.

24/7

2014 Ranger RT188
    115 Merc 4s, laser II 20p
    humminbirds

Charge when i get home and unplug when done. I also give them a top-off for an hour or so before i head out.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

20. Member
    Boat and cars stay plugged in 24/7. The charger stops charging when the batteries are up and goes into maintenance mode and only boosts the batteries when needed. Thats the whole idea of a battery maintainer. Cars have AGM's and the boat has led acid type. I've been doing it that way on my cars for many years... the boat I just bought.
    1988 Bass Tacker Tournament Pro V17, 70 HP 2 stroke Mercury, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 7CV (SOLD)
    2022 Bass Tracker Classic XL, 50HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 93SV, Micro Anchor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast