Yamaha 90 hp Lower Unit Out

I've got a 2009 Yamaha 90 hp on my boat. Its been making a pretty good ticking sound in the lower unit. I've taken it in for a full service and tune up and asked them to
    check out the ticking sound. The local shop just called and said the lower unit is out and will need major work.

So, is a new lower unit the way to go? Or rebuild? Or a reman?? I do plan on getting a new boat/motor this spring.....

School me on lower units going out.....

Thanks,

2. Member
    If you want top price when you sell or trade it i'd have it fixed to like new. Sorry but i know nothing about LU going out.

3. Member
    I would ask to see what is going out. If it is only bearings, then that is not too hard of a job. Most people could do it themselves using the FSM. If the gears are trashed then it will get quite a bit more expensive.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddement View Post
    I would ask to see what is going out. If it is only bearings, then that is not too hard of a job. Most people could do it themselves using the FSM. If the gears are trashed then it will get quite a bit more expensive.

Its the gears. Chipped up and broken off. Not good at all. And I've not been able to find a remanned unit or a new unit. Also others that I've called are saying the parts are all on back order.

So a couple of days ago I found another boat at a bargain so I bought it and will get the other fixed when I can. But I'm still fishing......

Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddement View Post
    I sent you a message.