Thread: Kankakee river

GTB

Kankakee river

Is the Kankakee River the best fishing river in Illinois? Seems like it.

I'd take Pool 13 of the Mississippi or Smithland Pool on the Ohio ANY day over the K3, if I had to pick an Illinois river to fish for Bass. That's not to say that the K3 isn't a good fishery, because it is, but some of the best parts of the K3 (between Momence and the Indiana state line) cannot be fished from a regular Bass boat and the other 2 pools that I listed can be easily fished from a 20-21' Bass boat.

3. Banned
    The Kank was my close to home get away.From walleye in the spring,fall and winter to SM 10 months out of the year.I do miss her,but I also miss my river jet being in TN now.

4. Member
    I have only fished from the desplaines conservation area boat ramp to the desplaines . Where else has good bass fishing from a bass boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I have only fished from the desplaines conservation area boat ramp to the desplaines . Where else has good bass fishing from a bass boat.
    That is about it for someone with a bass boat. I personally think the Kankakee River from Momence to US 41 in Indiana is much better than the area from the State Park ramp to the Des Plaines but I would not launch a nice fiberglass boat in the Momence area.

As far as the Kankakee River being the best for fishing, I think the Calumet River, and Lake Calumet is much better.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big bucks 170 View Post
    The Kank was my close to home get away.From walleye in the spring,fall and winter to SM 10 months out of the year.I do miss her,but I also miss my river jet being in TN now.
    I grew up in K3, fished it a ton and caught many fish. From Rock creek to the Warner bridge grass islands, behind the YMCA, 4th street for walleye in the fall, the damn for carp during the summer, and even in Aroma Park for pike (they love a purple buzz bait in the heat of the summer). Good times with good friends and great fishing.