Surf Fishing Info at Nags Head

So heading to a big family vacation to Nags Head for Thanksgiving. Just wondering is it worth taking my fishing stuff this time of year? Any info or help would be great. Thanks

2. Member
    When I am heading to the outer banks, twice a year, last thing I am wanting to do is fish. So much to do and see fishing is the last thing on my mind. Now with that said might get lucky depending on water temp and get into some good trout fishing on the Manteo side. Ocean is still warm to a certain degree so fishing off of Janet's pier might come into play also.
    BassCat Puma
    250 ProXs
    Humminbird Electronic's
    Helix 12 G4
    Solix 12x2 G3
    Mega 360
    Mega Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex MDI
    Relion Batteries
    Dexter Suspension System

Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    When I am heading to the outer banks, twice a year, last thing I am wanting to do is fish. So much to do and see fishing is the last thing on my mind. Now with that said might get lucky depending on water temp and get into some good trout fishing on the Manteo side. Ocean is still warm to a certain degree so fishing off of Janet's pier might come into play also.
    Thanks for the info, spent a lot of time around there when I was a kid every year for a week with my friends family so pretty much have see everything plus I'm with 40 members of my wife's family in the same house (see where I'm going with this)?

4. Member
    This is a pretty good FB group:

(1) Surf Fishing North Carolina | Facebook
    John

2016 Tracker Pro Guide V16 WT w/2019 Mercury 90 4 Stroke and Terrova 55
    Garmin 93SV UHD (Bow), Garmin 73SV UHD (Console), Garmin Livescope (Bow on Fishing Specialties Bowducer)
    Dakota 100AH TM Battery, Ionic 125AH Cranking/House Battery;
    Dual Power-Pole Micros

There was a time that the Big Blues always showed up during Thanksgiving. That hasn't happened in years. Take a 7 foot spinning rod and throw 3/8 oz jigheads wit grubs. Stop by TW's Bait for those. Always a speck around and never know, its the Ocean. Chunk and wind and walk the beach.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

Quote Originally Posted by BassKat1 View Post
    There was a time that the Big Blues always showed up during Thanksgiving. That hasn't happened in years. Take a 7 foot spinning rod and throw 3/8 oz jigheads wit grubs. Stop by TW's Bait for those. Always a speck around and never know, its the Ocean. Chunk and wind and walk the beach.
    Thanks, when I was a kid and there in the early 70's we would smoke the blues from the beach.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
    Thanks for the info, spent a lot of time around there when I was a kid every year for a week with my friends family so pretty much have see everything plus I'm with 40 members of my wife's family in the same house (see where I'm going with this)?
    Go up towards Corolla/Duck then with bass rod and work all the ponds. Those things are full of fish. Wife w/40 members, I think I just came down with an inflamed appendix .
    BassCat Puma
    250 ProXs
    Humminbird Electronic's
    Helix 12 G4
    Solix 12x2 G3
    Mega 360
    Mega Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex MDI
    Relion Batteries
    Dexter Suspension System

Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    Go up towards Corolla/Duck then with bass rod and work all the ponds. Those things are full of fish. Wife w/40 members, I think I just came down with an inflamed appendix .
    So no problems walking around some of those ponds? Not going on anybody property but looks like some ponds touch the roads. Thanks for the info

9. Member
    My advice is bring what you’ve got - if you’re there and have it but don’t use it no big deal. If you’re there and don’t have it, but want it… well.

As for fishing, hell yeah. The OBX piers are awesome to fish off of. I have cobia bucktail set-ups, kingfish pinrig set-ups, heavers and Spanish jigging rods. The catch is the wind has to be right. Light E, SE and NE winds will bring the gulf stream right near the shore and with it awesome fishing. If the winds blow from west for any period of time it will heat up the air temps and drop the water temps (as well as dirtying the water) big time. I fished the Avalon Pier forever til it got snipped. If I was going now Nags Head Pier and Jennette’s would be your options. As for local advice and gear TW’s Tackle in Nags Head is your go to spot. Given the time of year you are going, chopper blues and red drum would be your target species. Do your homework and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by carolina_cowboy01 View Post
    My advice is bring what you’ve got - if you’re there and have it but don’t use it no big deal. If you’re there and don’t have it, but want it… well.

As for fishing, hell yeah. The OBX piers are awesome to fish off of. I have cobia bucktail set-ups, kingfish pinrig set-ups, heavers and Spanish jigging rods. The catch is the wind has to be right. Light E, SE and NE winds will bring the gulf stream right near the shore and with it awesome fishing. If the winds blow from west for any period of time it will heat up the air temps and drop the water temps (as well as dirtying the water) big time. I fished the Avalon Pier forever til it got snipped. If I was going now Nags Head Pier and Jennette’s would be your options. As for local advice and gear TW’s Tackle in Nags Head is your go to spot. Given the time of year you are going, chopper blues and red drum would be your target species. Do your homework and good luck!
    Great info. Thanks

Ok heading down Sat, looks like a cold front coming, any last tips? Thanks

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
    Ok heading down Sat, looks like a cold front coming, any last tips? Thanks
    Checked a few things for you - you’re going to have some pretty stiff N/NE winds to contend with early, and unless you have, or are willing to spend some money for some pretty specific gear, it’ll be tough I think. This blow should have the drum fishermen out in force at the pier ends and that can get pretty exciting and requires specialized gear - 9-13ft heavers capable of casting 8nbait - 8oz of lead and bait - mullet, or menhaden bottom fished. If you have heavy spinning, or casting gear (heavier than you would typically use bass fishing), you can grab some bottom rigs with frozen bait and have a go of it - puppy drum, blues and small sharks will be your likely target, maybe an odd trout. Here are some helpful links and again check in on TW’s Tackle - they’re good people, will have anything you want and can give you advice. Best of luck to you.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/nags_head

https://twsbaitandtacklefishingreport.com/

https://www.ncaquariums.com/jennette...fishing-report

https://www.nagsheadpier.com/fishing-pier/pier-info/

Quote Originally Posted by carolina_cowboy01 View Post
    Checked a few things for you - you’re going to have some pretty stiff N/NE winds to contend with early, and unless you have, or are willing to spend some money for some pretty specific gear, it’ll be tough I think. This blow should have the drum fishermen out in force at the pier ends and that can get pretty exciting and requires specialized gear - 9-13ft heavers capable of casting 8nbait - 8oz of lead and bait - mullet, or menhaden bottom fished. If you have heavy spinning, or casting gear (heavier than you would typically use bass fishing), you can grab some bottom rigs with frozen bait and have a go of it - puppy drum, blues and small sharks will be your likely target, maybe an odd trout. Here are some helpful links and again check in on TW’s Tackle - they’re good people, will have anything you want and can give you advice. Best of luck to you.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/nags_head

https://twsbaitandtacklefishingreport.com/

https://www.ncaquariums.com/jennette...fishing-report

https://www.nagsheadpier.com/fishing-pier/pier-info/
    Thanks for the help, not to much help in TX for you, but if you bow hunt public land in Kansas I can help you out there. Thanks again.

14. Member
    Hey. Just had a fishing vacation at the OBX last week for 4 days with my brother. We try to go up around Thanksgiving each year. We surf fished in heavy winds and current using cut mullet, made it tough. We did go to the pier and catch the mess out of the smaller fish. So my advice, want to catch some fish? Throw shrimp and cut mullet at the OBX pier and you will have a blast. Some guys were using bright red worms and catching trout. FYI: This was our 2nd time ever surf fishing LOL Good luck.

Had one more question? Here in Texas we have to run 100 yards of mono tied to the braid because of the bottom of the surf will cut the braid. Will I have to do the same in the OBX surf?

16. Member
    No, straight braid is fine

Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    No, straight braid is fine
    Thanks brother.

Real quick I grabbed some shrimp and mullet and hit the surf this morning, Only landed a black tip but had a bite on every cast, just have to change up the rig and see if I can catch what's biting.