Talon/jackplate question

Haven't see this issue posted anywhere yet.
    New to me 2015 Z8 w/ 200 pro XS. Hole shot and on plane were perfect. Until I installed 2 Talons. Now I'm getting slowed down and hole shot is taking longer. They are obviously dragging and causing two small wakes( looks more like the brackets, not the Talons themselves), even when on plane. They are mounted as high as they allow. Has anyone experienced this issue? Do I need a hydraulic jack plate? I'm thinking that if I do go hydraulic, and I raise it so the anchors are not in the water, will the motor be too high when running? Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    The talons will not raise with the jackplate, even with a hydraulic plate

Well the talon bracket appears to be sandwiched between the motor and the jackplate. This is not allowed according to mercury. That aside, with side mounted to the jackplate removing the black plate that pinches the sliding section the talon bracket will be farther forward. They need to be nearly touching the hull and as high as it currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster09 View Post
    The talons will not raise with the jackplate, even with a hydraulic plate
    With them mounted where they are it will raise, hypothetically you could lower the motor bolt hole or three depending where its currently at so you could raise the poles out and leave the motor deep enough. But look at the post above ^
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7C960F83-3998-41F7-A0EB-568825229940.jpegSide mount circled on the right side of image. Then the left circle should relocate the bolt two spots to the left so the anchor sits vertically

Mount the brackets on the side of the jack plate and as high and adjusted as far forward as you can. With a 200 merc. on that hull you will not have the best hole shot with talons, but doing as Fishysam and I suggest, will help. Changing to a slightly lower pitch prop will also help, if the change to the bracket locations doesn't do enough.

Btw, with the style of talon brackets you have, you will need to sandwich the plate between the jackplate and hull. You will not be able to mount that style on the side of the jack plate.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies, I will relocate them between the transom and jackplate.

Make sure to re seal the transom bolts

Thanks for the replies, I will relocate them between the transom and jackplate.
    Hold up bnd! I took a closer look at your brackets. I want to make sure what brackets you have....
    Can you take another pic from the rear or front of the brackets? Are yours one, two piece or in 3 pieces? I think I see at least two.....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

I don't think u can move it between the hull and JP, with those brackets. Won't clear the sponsons.

Your holeshot issue is the brackets are too far back, yes they will catch water. Has nothing to do with the height of the Talon. But guessing you could potentially move those to the side mounts.

I'll let those that run talons chime in.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    Mind are as close to and spread as far a part as I can adjust them.as such they are not near as high asyours on a z9,it looks like you have sandwich mounts.they should mount to the two bolts on the jakeplate.those might be wrong mounts for a boat with a jack plate hydraulic or not

12. Member
    KC, They are 3 pc talon brackets.
    The paperwork that came with them gave 3 mounting options. 1) as I installed them. 2) Between transom & jackplate. 3) between motor & transom[if no jackplate.]
    BMCD, I made up a quick template and it looks like they will clear the sponsons (just.)
    I still am going to try it in the next couple of days, I'll let you all know.
    Again, I appreciate the input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    O can't post pics of mine but can you mount to side of jackplate?

14. Member
    talons last chance 2.jpgTalons last chance 1.jpgChanged up the configuration. Fit was tight with the sponsons extending back so far but. it fit. Fixed the "getting on plain issue." Speed is back up to where it was, almost. But, there is still some drag and a wider wake being thrown than without them. Ima leave them as is until I get sick of the big wake, I guess. Also I'm considering modifying the brackets to raise them up a couple of more inches, that should do the trick. In my head, this will be a project for when the water gets hard here in the Northeast and I cant run it anymore.

Good to hear, are the Talons dragging in the water?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

On a nice day you can lay down on the back deck and look at it all while some one drives 40mph. Will show you everything you need to see. You can totally slide your outboard up in the jack plate 3/8" or up to 1/2" with nearly no issue this can help with holeshot too unless there are 3'waves then it may blow out a bit.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

17. Member
    BMCD, the Talons aren't but, the brackets are.

18. Member
    Rotate talons closer to transom (1/2” off transom). Get a chris bailey foil & a fury 4 prop…..ask me how I know.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

On Plane they should not be dragging water. I'm sure there might be some spray. If they were you would prolly not be able to get on plane at all.

Guess I'm not understanding your issue, they sure seem high enough to be out of the water while on plane.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team