South Haven fishing charters

I’m heading to South Haven next month and am thinking about hiring a charter for a day. There’s a lot more charters than I was expecting. Anyone have any recommendations on which one to choose? Thanks

2. Member
    What are you looking to fish for? I'm assuming salmon and steelhead?!? If so, I think Grand Haven would be a better choice.

3. Member
    Yeah salmon and steelhead. I’ll look into Grand Haven charters. Thanks

4. Member
    I've got a summer house in SH. Here are a few Sea Hawk captain Russ Clark out of St Joe. fished a couple of times with him great guy well established. Win n Angel Benton Harbor fished with Winn Wolf great guy top notch. Best Chance Too out of Saugatuck never fished with but highly recommended by a fishing buddy who used to charter. Out of home port SH only based on a meeting him Strong Performance. "Next month" is too broad early in September I'd still head N to Ludington Salmon Slayer -Dave Ellis or river fish with Jeff Topp on the Manistee if he is back from Alaska that early. By mid - later September kings can be caught casting from shore in the harbor or in a little boat trolling the harbor and pier heads.

5. Member
    Thanks! I’m going the middle of September.

6. Member
    Do you have a boat? When you get there is there a place where you are staying to unhook the trailer? If yes bring your boat. I looked back through my phone and saw I was crushing the Kings in the harbor trolling stick baits the weekend of 9/19/2020. By mid September they'll be in and just off the pier heads and steelhead will be in the mix though probably better in the St Joe. You'll see inflatables little boats in and just out of the harbor. When the lake blows up and you still want to get out 20 minuets to Paw Paw lake near Coloma SM walleye and crappie. Get the USGS nearshore app on your phone and when it calls for 1 footers it's game on on big the lake in close. An E wind makes the lake like glass and causes an upwelling of the cold water that brings big silver fish close to shore or even from the piers. You don't need down riggers or special equipment a 4000 sized spinning reel lots of braid floro leader and a medium power longer rod & with the ability to chase to salmon in open water 20# are doable. Sure a charter would make sense too and those I mentioned are solid. Have fun pick some honey crisp apples with the family we like Cranes in Fennville.