How To Paint / Re-shine Chatterbait Blades

Has anybody painted blades?? I want the mirror flash back..

I fish Chatterbaits a lot... some of the blades have lost their flash and shine. I am referring mainly to gold color but silver some too... When they were new they reflected a lot of light...some are pitted a little and just don't shine like a mirror anymore.

I have tried burnishing or pads to shine them and they don't work very well. Can these blades be painted? What paint reflects a Lot? Or I thought about a decal type film made for spoons...

They are expensive and in good shape except for the flash.. any ideas? I have tried bartenders friend, toothpaste, brass cleaner...nothing flashes like when new.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

2. Member
    if there is a split ring, you just replace them. cheap and easy. No split ring, then try the stickers made for blades. this is just an example: https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Stick...60431256&psc=1

Here is a discussion on another board: http://www.tackleunderground.com/com...r-bait-blades/
    Last edited by Squire; 08-24-2021 at 08:49 AM.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

The stickers would be your best bet if you want shine. If you want other colors: I've painted them with nail polish before, occasionally to add/change color but mostly to to kill the shine (or leave only strips of shine on the blade) and it's worked OK. Sally Hansen Hard as Nails holds up really well, but it's a little thick for my liking. Halloween is a great time to check out the nail polish section for different colors (I'll take "Things that are embarrassing out of context for $500, Alex"), and has been the only time I've been able to find something "green pumpkin" colored. I also know that guys powder coat them with varying degrees of success--the guys who are great at making jigs, spinnerbaits, etc. not surprisingly end up with the best results there--though I don't have a powder coating setup or any skill in powder coating otherwise.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I don't like powder coating. It makes the blade heavy an it does not move the same. The best I've found is transparent paint from the hobby shop. It's made for stained glass. All the colors you want with the shine that comes through. Stickers work also.

5. Member
    Try painting with some silver fingernail polish with sparkling glitter in it. Did that on the body and blade on one of mine.

Ketchup

7. Member
    Brake fluid or brake cleaner? That stuff will eat at everything.....

Maybe try a sample before doing a batch,

Good luck!
    It's not what you can take with you,

It's what you leave behind.

Don't be shocked if the Ketchup worked well to clean the grime & oxidation off blades. The Texas guys probably use salsa...the hottest they can get.

I was going to suggest "Semi-Chrome" polish...usually available at motorcycle shops. If I had some "CLR" handy (I do), I'd try that. "Kaboom" might work, but I don't have any.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.