Thread: Spybait rod

Spybait rod

I’m in the market for a new spybait rod. The two at the top of my list are the Cashion Icon John Crews 7’-6” spinbait rod and the ALX Zolo 7’-6” McSmalls. I prefer a longer rod for the spybait. Does anyone have any input on either of these rods or have any other suggestions for spybait rods?

I had purchased a 7’9” dobyns champion as a dedicated spybait rod. It was to fast in the tip and I was losing too many fish. A buddy had a rod for sale that I’ve found to be perfect - a lews custompro speed. TLCP76MMFS. It’s got a moderate action to keep the fish pinned and o can still toss the baits a mile.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Member
    The 76MML Steez AGS

The Dobyns 763 Champ XP is a great spybait rod.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kooyakey View Post
    The 76MML Steez AGS
    The old one is better for spybaits than the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    The old one is better for spybaits than the new one.
    Since you've had both longer than most folks out there, where do you see the differences between the two?

The ALX ZOLO McSmalls is what I use. I like the 7'6" length as a lot of the time I'm casting it over open points for suspended schools. Need a long cast in that clear water.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Since you've had both longer than most folks out there, where do you see the differences between the two?
    The old 76MML AGS has a softer tip, and larger guides - my understanding is that it was designed specifically for spybaiting and it shows. The larger stripper and choke guides are better suited for straight 5 and 6lb fluoro (highly recommend over braid/leader for spybaiting) and the blank loads extra deep into the butt section keeping jumping fish pinned.

Having said that, the new Steez AGS is very very close for spybaiting purposes, and it does everything else better imo - crisper tip, almost a full oz lighter at 3.4oz (incredible!!!) and is a joy to use for all finesse bottom contact techniques. It's been a champion at slow rolling a 3" sparkshad on 1/4oz jigheads for me this season, and also twitching 1/16oz jigheads + tiny flukes near the bottom. You can do very delicate tip work with the new Steez, it behaves like a 6'10 rod when doing so yet you can launch a spy/swimbait a mile and then it fishes like a big water stick - truly The One spinning rod you need, and I would never recommend the old steez over the new one unless you are only throwing spybaits and even then it's almost a wash.

Last thing - the new steez is a very fun jerkbait rod too - the original steez has a tip that bounces around a bit too much for jerkbaits imo. Daiwa hit a home run with the Compile X version of this classic, no doubt about it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    The old 76MML AGS has a softer tip, and larger guides - my understanding is that it was designed specifically for spybaiting and it shows. The larger stripper and choke guides are better suited for straight 5 and 6lb fluoro (highly recommend over braid/leader for spybaiting) and the blank loads extra deep into the butt section keeping jumping fish pinned.

Having said that, the new Steez AGS is very very close for spybaiting purposes, and it does everything else better imo - crisper tip, almost a full oz lighter at 3.4oz (incredible!!!) and is a joy to use for all finesse bottom contact techniques. It's been a champion at slow rolling a 3" sparkshad on 1/4oz jigheads for me this season, and also twitching 1/16oz jigheads + tiny flukes near the bottom. You can do very delicate tip work with the new Steez, it behaves like a 6'10 rod when doing so yet you can launch a spy/swimbait a mile and then it fishes like a big water stick - truly The One spinning rod you need, and I would never recommend the old steez over the new one unless you are only throwing spybaits and even then it's almost a wash.

Last thing - the new steez is a very fun jerkbait rod too - the original steez has a tip that bounces around a bit too much for jerkbaits imo. Daiwa hit a home run with the Compile X version of this classic, no doubt about it.
    Daaaayyyuuum...dropped DA BOOM!

Thanks for the insights.

10. Member
    Zodias 7'6 light power is an excellent budget option. The taper is very close to a 901 NRX.

I have several Zolo McSmalls, never thought of them as a spy bait rod, might have to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by HobeyBaker View Post
    Zodias 7'6 light power is an excellent budget option. The taper is very close to a 901 NRX.
    To me the 901 feels a bit light for casting 3/8oz spybaits, I use a baitcaster myself, the GLX 842 with a Metanium bombs spybaits.
    Another great rod that I use is the Megabass Flyssa.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    To me the 901 feels a bit light for casting 3/8oz spybaits, I use a baitcaster myself, the GLX 842 with a Metanium bombs spybaits.
    Another great rod that I use is the Megabass Flyssa.
    Agreed regarding the 901. The 902 is right and keeps them pinned.

14. Member
    The 7’6” ML Daiwa Elite AGS Feider rod is worth a look too, really happy with it for that technique

15. Member
    I had ALX build a custom spybait rod for me. It's a touch lighter and more moderate than the mcsmalls. I think the mcsmalls is great for neds and tubes but a little fast for spybaits. I also have the older steez 7'6" mml and I think that's still too fast for spybaits. But the steez is perfect for hairjigs. I'm probably splitting hairs, but I love throwing a spybait on 5-6 pound test, so I'm picky with what I'm looking for. You really need to protect those tiny trebles.

If I wasn't going the custom ALX route then I'd look at 7'6" inshore popping rods from different companies. Those usually have the action and parabolic bend that you're looking for.

16. Member
    Anyone use a light crankbaits rod like the Loomis CBR 903?
    Geoff Soard

2005 Ranger 521VX - 2012 Yamaha 250 VMax
    1996 Ranger 485V - 2016 Evinrude E-Tec 175

Always buying G. Loomis "Green" NRX, GLX CBRs and others.

17. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soardo View Post
    Anyone use a light crankbaits rod like the Loomis CBR 903?
    I use a Megabass XX Flatside Special as my 2nd spybait rod (my primary one is a GLX 852C) and will have a Duo 90 or Duo 72 tied onto it. I'm currently giving my Gen 2 XX EMTF a tryout for Duo 100s and my P5 Bait Finesse a tryout for Duo 80s and the Arashi Spinbait. That said, I'm waiting to get my hands on a Megabass P5 Z-Crank Elsiel as I think that will be a really nice spybait rod.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I use a Powell Max3D 712 here on Lake Lanier. I have never lost a fish on a spybait, including stripers up to 10lbs.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AznBassAngler View Post
    I use a Powell Max3D 712 here on Lake Lanier. I have never lost a fish on a spybait, including stripers up to 10lbs.
    Cool, I’m on Lanier too. Not familiar with that rod, but I tend to want a bit of parabolic action any time I have trebles in play. I’ll have to look at this rod closer.
    Geoff Soard

2005 Ranger 521VX - 2012 Yamaha 250 VMax
    1996 Ranger 485V - 2016 Evinrude E-Tec 175

Always buying G. Loomis "Green" NRX, GLX CBRs and others.