Trailer bow stop modification

Hey Guys:

I have a 2018 Skeeter and it rides on a Skeeter made trailer.

The one thing that really bothered me since I purchased this boat was what I believed to be excessive bow hop when pulling the boat. This was particularly noticeable as I traveled at speed over terrible roads that were uneven or had potholes, etc. I thought this repeated bouncing and coming down on the bow stop can't be good for the integrity of the fiberglass over time.

Although I would snug the bow eye as close to the roller as possible and firmly secure the strap that only allows for linear tension vs. linear and vertical tension.

Anyway, I had always thought the trailer set up on BassCats made a heck of a lot of sense as the strap runs under a separate roller before making a 45 degree turn to latch onto the bow eye.

Well, I took my boat and trailer in for a rebunk recently and asked the shop to add a stainless steel bolt just below the bow roller/stop (see pics), so I could accomplish what I believe to be a better design to firmly bring the bow of the boat into the bow stop.

Now I will point out if you are in the process of trailering the boat at the ramp and need the strap to winch the boat onto the trailer I would temporarily re-route the strap above the steel roller for a linear pull then once the boat is snug to the bow stop then I reroute the strap under the steel roller to pull the bow down into the roller for secure trailering.

I attached a couple of pics to reveal the final set up and I will say the bow hop is no longer. You can actually see how the bow hop chewed up the roller on my trailer....I've since replaced it and haven't noticed any problems.

Just thought I would pass this experience along in the even it makes sense for others out there that recognize the same problem....it's a very inexpensive modification.

Tight lines...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Instead of that "safety cable" I have a ratcheting strap mounted to the bottom of the winch, and a chain for a third safety device. I hook the chain in the hook for the bottom strap I think.

3. mikesxpress
    Eliminates bow bounce and adds security.

4. Member
    I use a simple tie down strap secured to the trailer directly below the roller/eye similar to this way MIKESXPESS has his BoatBuckle configured. I leave the strap hook connected as well.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

5. Member
    If you are able to slide the winch post forward any that will put the boats tail/transom more on the trailer causing more forward weight on the bow which can really help taking the bounce out of the bow area.

If my TR20 boat is not all the way against the roller it will bounce and makes riding in my 3/4 ton truck miserable and it's a double axle trailer.
    Rocket

Every Charger I have owned has the strap run under a post. Here are two of them.