Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Does Anyone run Nitrous Oxide in Bassboats anymore?

I have been out of the club and go fast boats for awhile but I remember in Central Florida in the 80-90s it was quite popular...took a mid 60sMPH boat to the mid 70s+- of course at great expense to those poor outboards.......I remember people bragging about having EIGHT whole hours on the juice - they didnt last long past that! But considering the tech advances,etc (in hulls and motors) does anyone bother with the bottle anymore?

With the way EFI is its usually easier to just put the other ecm in it....
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

3. Member
    I cannot fathom how it would be worth the increase wear and stress to attempt that.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I can't believe that anyone every did this to their outboard. Wait! Did the OP mention Florida? Ok, makes sense now. A Florida Man thing. Carry on.

Outboards were a lot cheaper then.. Plenty of older motors around to beat up as well.. I couldn't imagine putting that in a $20,000 outboard and lunch the motor for a few miles an hour.. Unless your racing, enjoy the ride. quit worrying about another mile an hour.

6. Member
    .......as previously mentioned this was mostly in the eighties- rebuilding a Merc racing motor was actually not that much - I remember clubs in Winter Haven,Lakeland (where the Lanes cut their teeth ) and our Kissimmee club all had members with NO2. While not exactly commonplace it wasn't rare either...Fastest boat I rode in at the time was a big HydraSport (maybe V495? ) with a heavy modded 200 Max-,the kind with cut exhaust you could hear on the other side of the lake. That boat ran a 28 pitch wide blade chopper at 6600RPM speedo said 80 - would run 66 at most without the bump. I remember how high out of the water it was at high speed - when you looked over the side it looked like the water was 8 feet below you.

7. Member
    Those old VL series of Hydro-Sports had more total hull lift than any other boat I’ve ever been in. My buddy had a VL 475(I think) that would only have about 12” of just the pad in the water. I do remember a couple of guys running nitrous in their boats too.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    .......as previously mentioned this was mostly in the eighties- rebuilding a Merc racing motor was actually not that much - I remember clubs in Winter Haven,Lakeland (where the Lanes cut their teeth ) and our Kissimmee club all had members with NO2. While not exactly commonplace it wasn't rare either...Fastest boat I rode in at the time was a big HydraSport (maybe V495? ) with a heavy modded 200 Max-,the kind with cut exhaust you could hear on the other side of the lake. That boat ran a 28 pitch wide blade chopper at 6600RPM speedo said 80 - would run 66 at most without the bump. I remember how high out of the water it was at high speed - when you looked over the side it looked like the water was 8 feet below you.
    Sounds like Florida never heard of Allison, Bullet, or Norris craft back then. All of which would have done 80 without the nitrous

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Sounds like Florida never heard of Allison, Bullet, or Norris craft back then. All of which would have done 80 without the nitrous
    Don't forget Stroker also.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

10. Member
    Remember the time frame - Allison, Bullet, and Norris Craft while fine, fast boats were hardly national names in the 80s - plus the fact that at that time Central Florida had several local bassboat builders. Names like Hurst, Lucraft, Bass Natique all made here but not nationally marketed, while Skeeter, Procraft, and Ranger were sold heavily here. Along with the locally built boats there was quite a variety - but none as fast as the 3 boats metioned

11. Member
    I had a 17’ Hurst with a 175 Evinrude for years. The lower unit was cut when I bought it. While awesome at blast off it got annoying on a long run. I never did the nitrous thing, but it was pretty common with the go fast crowd. I lived in Charleston SC at the time.

Always thought nitrous was more of a drag type thing where it was a quick hit. Can you run sustained nitrous?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Always thought nitrous was more of a drag type thing where it was a quick hit. Can you run sustained nitrous?
    It is a drag type deal. I cant imagine anyone wanting to try continuous usage unless they just like rebuilding engines.

14. Member
    Do they still have aftermarket super/turbo charger kits for outboards?

Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    Do they still have aftermarket super/turbo charger kits for outboards?
    The verado has one from the factory...
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

I know how you do it in the automotive world but where do you bring the extra fuel from on a boat motor???? axillary fuel pump or what, i knew years ago there was a guy running some on a bullet, but never looked at the set-up
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    The verado has one from the factory...
    I think it was Nizpro that claimed 450HP from a Yamaha V-6 with their parts. This may be old now.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    I have been out of the club and go fast boats for awhile but I remember in Central Florida in the 80-90s it was quite popular...took a mid 60sMPH boat to the mid 70s+- of course at great expense to those poor outboards.......I remember people bragging about having EIGHT whole hours on the juice - they didnt last long past that! But considering the tech advances,etc (in hulls and motors) does anyone bother with the bottle anymore?
    I had a STV Bass boat built that only weighed 550 pounds, hung a MOD VP Merc on the back and drag raced with it on Ky Lake, I also ran N Oxide, best run I ever made was like 113!! Ran it both fishing and in the drags for two years!

I only used the NO while racing, also had a electric fuel pump added in line!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    I think it was Nizpro that claimed 450HP from a Yamaha V-6 with their parts. This may be old now.
    Yeah that’s still a thing. A lot of guys do this to their SHO’s.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I had a STV Bass boat built that only weighed 550 pounds, hung a MOD VP Merc on the back and drag raced with it on Ky Lake, I also ran N Oxide, best run I ever made was like 113!! Ran it both fishing and in the drags for two years!

I only used the NO while racing, also had a electric fuel pump added in line!
    Figured that must have been how the guys i remember running it must had done it, i only remember on of them Blowing up a motor, but from what i'd heard he would "spray" on a 10 mile run (Wilson to Wheeler dam) i've only experimented with it on Car engines, I personally love the stuff, But my Engine Builder didn't, well i mean he did like selling me new parts, but hated having to fix/machine junk i tore up, most times he would great me with "well, what did you tear up this weekend"
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast