Getting closer to the water (lil long winded)

So little back story bought my 1988 1950v in 2011 at lake anna, Va fishing tournaments in a club there til i got stationed at Ft Hood, TX. I took my dad and the boat to Texas and we spent my first hour in Texas registering the boat and getting the title changed over. i had a week before i had to report and spent it fishing stillhouse hollow lake. spent 2 years at hood then got out an the boat has sat since mothers day 2015. I moved to Houston the end of 2015 and the boat had been under a cover until i moved back to Maryland in 2017 where it was put in the barn until a few weeks ago. Now that i have a job that allows me to have a life i have been wanting to get back on the water other than a kayak.

So i picked up some used batteries for a reasonable price that were not maintained (reconditioning in progress), found out i had a 22p quicksilver? SS prop that was 14.25 and that had previously netted me 51-53 WOT trimmed out rpm unknown do not remember nor do i think the tach was working then. Scouring FB marketplace i found a tempest plus 23p that had no wear for half of what a used prop are going for. from my understanding the 23p would be a good start for a 19ft 1500lbs hull. I had a whale tail on the motor already so jus been getting curious as to how this prop will perform.

Any who, week before last i replaced the rectifier, fuel line, pulled the lower unit inspected the water pump and impeller, new lower unit oil, put the new prop on, and got the batteries to hold charge. Well last week was rough on me an i needed some wind/ fishing therapy so i cleaned up the boat put the tools away poured a bottle of seafoam in the fuel tank. Mind you this beast 1988 Black Maxx 150 has not ran in 6 years since the fuel connector broke after a trip in 2015 on mothers day, Now i had been starting it on the bunny ears and wasnt having any issues. The first start it took about 10 mins before it finally coughed but after that it was usually the 2nd or third try, hell one morning it belched to life as soon as i hit the key like a 4 stroke.

Remember that seafoam, i had the bilge hatch open and did on last walk around before goin to bed that friday night an i noticed that it was wet in the bilge under the filler hose..... Yea that Fillup in the morning almost got expensive had i not seen that. So i fought and fought and fought to get those damn clamps off the filler neck breaking that in the process but i got it and managed to keep the filler line mostly intact to get the length i needed. i was bound and determind that i was going to at least hit the water sat so every mariners worst nightmare West marine was open i got the parts i needed and left half my wallet with them lol. So I go home and wrestle this new fuel filler into place making sure the clamps could be reached later on 2 hrs later an a lil petroleum jelly were back in action good as new.

Hurry up, hookup the boat and off to the ramp we go still go half a day still plenty of time to do a little fishing an give her a rip. Pay for the ramp fee unstrap put the plug in back her in the water she pops off the trailer an sit pretty in the water i leave the bow strapped up just in case... Jump in the boat drop the motor in the water pump the bulb til shes hard set the throttle on warm-up flick the master switch grab the key.... take a breath and give the key a twist crank crank crank, crank crank crank, crank crank crank, hmmm battery sounds weak i'll jump it off the trolling motor like ive done time an time before well its no use went from crank to silence starter and starter solenoid both decided they were done but hey she floats.

This weekend i replace the starting battery, starter solenoid and the starter and have let the batteries on trickle charge an then kept them topped with the on-board charger was a little wetter that i would have liked friday and sunday, an i was fishing as a rider on sat in a tournament. so i havent gotten to the ramp to give her another go but its the little victories along the way then the little gremlins that show up at the last second.

2. Member
    Good for you for never giving up. We've all been there

3. Member
    Well last weekend I got her into the water and started before paying for the ramp fee it was one of the hardest starts i've had with this engine since i've owned it but the new cranking battery held its own and got her going. I had to prime it twice and also check the oil in the tank as i thought that may have done it but it just took some time. Once going the alarm sounded for an overheat but the temp gauge hadn't moved off of its lower peg yet so i increased the throttle and it went away. Once underway no more alarm first test run was maybe an 1/4 mile stretch and she was very responsive to the new prop but the motor seamed slow to build rpms almost sluggish but not( kinda hard to explain). She rode flat onto plane which was a surprise from the previous prop as it would pitch the nose up and kinda pendulum onto plane. I got up to 52mph but the tachometer needs some work as it was only showing 4400 rpm and im sure the old fuel wasn't helping with performance. Going to check the Tach settings and get some good fuel in her for the next trip out and also get a water pump on order just to be safe. It Definitely feels good to have this boat back on the water. She needs some tlc and a facelift but shes still getting wet

4. Member
    Well it was a short lived victory must have had some crud in the bottom of the tank and some water, went out friday and it would only stay on plane for about a 100-500 feet before it sounded like half the motor shut off an lost power. Got it home and went through it today pulled the main jet plugs out and it was full of junk and had water in it aswell since i had the carbs off i decieed to look at the reed valves an ive got a couple that are not seating all the way or are very lightly closed. Still has the stock reed valves so il gonna order a set of carsons. The fuel pump diaphram was toast it had some give but it was prety much hard and a couple spots where it was about to fail. Also goin to replace all the 1/4" line under the cowling as I believe those hoses may have contributed to the sediment.

5. Member
    Have been choking your engine for about 10-15 seconds prior to starting? If not, Black Max 150s are prone to just turnover without starting.
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180
    Merc XR4 150 Blackmax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danover321 View Post
    Have been choking your engine for about 10-15 seconds prior to starting? If not, Black Max 150s are prone to just turnover without starting.
    I had not been but I will give that a try once I get it back together, waiting on a couple gaskets