Exclamation Rochester Mayo Visit, any fishing?

Going to be brining my wife to Mayo the 2nd week of October. Not sure when all appointments are going to be but we are going to be there over a weekend. Is there any sort of fishing or fishing guides worth exploring? Inlaws live in Lime Springs Iowa so maybe down that way a bit too so would happily take suggestions for that. Anything else fun to do to kill time in that area?
    thanks in advance,
    travis

2. Member
    Definitely look into Pool 4 (Mississippi) guides if you can find any. They are busy and the river is very low right now. Great walleye and smallmouth fishing.

3. Member
    if you can't find a fishing guide for the river, there are a number of goose hunting guides in Rochester. The 2nd weekend of October might be too early, but you never know. PM me if you have questions on goose guides.

4. Member
    If you’re open to canoeing, check out Mac’s on the Zumbro River (25 min from Rochester). Water has been really low but we’re getting more rain now. You take off below the dam, drift down and they pick you up and bring you back to your vehicle. Have had some epic multi-species trips over the years - smallmouth, catfish, walleye and evening some muskie.

Call them for water levels/conditions:
    Mac's Park Place (507) 843-6500

5. Member
    Never heard of that place, but it sounds like it would be a fun day!

October fishing on Mississippi should be quite good if you can find a guide, both Pools 4 & 5

7. Member
    Any place to catch a Pike within an hour or two drive? Never caught one and would sure like to as it's something we don't have back home.

Ohh I'm sure. I don't know though hiring a guide and going for a muskie may peak the interest of a pike though. Seeing a monster eat the lure 8' away is crazy! I'm in ND and don't even know where rodchester is other than south mn.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
    Any place to catch a Pike within an hour or two drive? Never caught one and would sure like to as it's something we don't have back home.
    I have never fished it but the latest DNR fishery survey shows Northerns, some nice size, in Lake Winona. It's also got LM. About an hour straight east of Rochester in the town of Winona strangely enough. Oddly, you'll be in the one area of the state that's more known for SM and trout stream fishing except for the Mississippi River which is multi-species. Fished the Miss a ton but have never caught many Norts there as I'd much rather target bass.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    I have never fished it but the latest DNR fishery survey shows Northerns, some nice size, in Lake Winona. It's also got LM. About an hour straight east of Rochester in the town of Winona strangely enough. Oddly, you'll be in the one area of the state that's more known for SM and trout stream fishing except for the Mississippi River which is multi-species. Fished the Miss a ton but have never caught many Norts there as I'd much rather target bass.
    I must fish the wrong areas then because I usually catch a ton of pike while bass fishing....
    Fish have fins, they swim

11. Member
    If you can bring some rods and a little tackle...this could be an option to kill some time.

http://www.almafishingfloat.com/

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    If you end up on Lake Winona, you can virtually fish both the upper and lower lakes (it's split with a culvert connecting them) from shore as there is a park and walking path around the whole thing. I think there is a canoe rental place on the lake as well, or at least there used to be. (it's been a few years)

If you want to check out the trout fishing in the area, I'd suggest Whitewater State Park. Call Mauer Brothers Pup in Elba, MN; they used to run the big buck and big trout contests in the area and were a good source of information. (again, it's been a few years though so that may have changed)

What day(s) are you looking to get out?

Quote Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
    If you can get on Mississippi River, Pike would be a pretty safe bet

14. Member
    Curious where you ended up going?

15. Member
    Well we just got back last night. I took a couple rods along, some golf clubs along and I was ready......then.....i'll just be honest my wife and I haven't had any time alone since we adopted our daughter almost 11 years ago. We were having so much fun after Mayo appointments checking the area out, then the weekend I was going to fish we decided to drive to Lacrosse then up the great river road to Pepin, then back to Wabasha. Goodness did we have a great day and see some of the prettiest scenery I have ever seen. Makes Kansas look like the armpit of the earth. You guys are insanely blessed with some amazing looking hunting and fishing! So long story short the clubs and rod never left the truck. I just had such a fun time with my wife that I decided the fishing could wait. Man would I like to come back sometime though!!

Nothing wrong with that!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Nothing wrong with that!

Glad you had a great time. That river bluff country is one of my favorite parts of the state.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.