Thread: Gel coat repair

Gel coat repair

Our club fished lake shelbyville this weekend. I had My partner on Sunday launch my boat since it “seemed” easier to me, to have him drive the boat off the trailer (that way you don’t need to adjust seat and mirrors in the truck). Make a long story short. He banged my PHX21 into the one piece of metal sticking out on the dock and nocked a chunk of gel coat of about the size of 2 silver dollars. You can see the fiberglass in the area that’s damaged. Where would you IL BBCers recommend that I go to get this repaired? I’m an hour from peoria, an hour from quad cities, and 2 hours to Rockford, but I will drive a while to get her to a place that will fix it correctly. Thanks for any recommendations

2. Member
    D & S Marine in Roscoe: 5350 Edith Ln, Roscoe, IL 61073 (815) 623-6846

These guys are good to work with. That would be a drive for you but it would be an option. They were about 6 weeks out for fixing repairs in the Spring so it could be longer right now.

Good luck and post back what you went with and how good/bad they were.

Dang Chris...Im glad that happened AFTER I borrowed your boat, lol.

Landcraft Marine did some fiberglass work on my boat a couple years back and they were fantastic. They were highly recommended by some bass fishermen that had work done from them and they did not disappoint. They are now located in Lockport (previously in Crestwood).
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

5. Member
    Wounded Rig has done great work in the past. A bit of a drive for you but highly suggested.

6. Member
    I'm not sure who the place is they use but Bedford sales in Morris has a shop they use and they did some excellent work on my boat and reasonably priced. Worth giving them a call 815-942-1333
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

7. Member
    Capt'n Nabbers
    Morris IL
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

8. Member
    I haven't used him yet, but I was told by the people that used to own Bedford, that he was excellent.
    1979 Aztec 1750V
    Mercury Blackmax 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1987 375V
    Mercury XR2 150hp
    Motor Guide 24v
    1993 372V
    Mercury XR6 150hp
    MinnKota Ultrex 36v

Would agree with FlippinMagician about Wounded Rig in West Frankfort. On a very windy day, a screw head from a Ky Lake dock knocked a chunk out of my 721 some years ago. John had me contact Phoenix to get the exact flake colors to match my boat. Tim Murphy from Phoenix took care of it and sent them to me. After Wounded rig did the repair; you couldn't tell were it had been damaged. I still have the flake colors for my rig just in case I ever need another repair job. Good luck.

Ernie

10. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it! I will check in with these places.

Philly, I wish I had been the one to do it. It’s always been easy for me to excuse my own dumb-assery

11. Member
    Similar thing happened with me this weekend and agree its easier when you cause the damage yourself! I was about to start the same thread, so thanks for the info, guys.
    2018 Bass Cat Sabre, 150 HP Pro XS, Helix 10s

I bet that's the same pole I was slammed into last year.........Contact John at Wounded Rig....I think he is located just north of Marion
    The power of positive thoughts