Thread: PCP Air Rifles

Banned

PCP Air Rifles

Anyone in to PCP air rifles? Been thinking about picking one up for some back yard fun when I don't want to bother the neighbors.

Just looking around, watching YT vids, some of these rifles are tack drivers out to 100 yards, printing dime sized sub-MOA groups. With enough energy to take small to medium sized game. But, dang, the prices are steep. $1500-3000 for a good one. Then another $500+ for a compressor to fill it.

Still, might bite that proverbial bullet and pick up a setup in .25 or .30 cal.

2. Member
    I have a Benjamin Marauder in .22 cal and really like it.

Be prepared to buy a compressor as filling a PCP to 3000 psi with a hand pump is not fun.

You can visit the Pyramid Air website and look for articles written by Tom Gaylord who writes under the moniker B.B. Pelletier and learn all you want to know about air rifles including PCP brands/models.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    the Umarex Gauntlet is a nice PCP, super accurate and great price. I have one in .22 and enjoy shooting it.

4. Member
    I recently purchased a Weihrauch HW100 (.177) and I really like it....of course I was upgrading from a much cheaper springer, so night/day difference.

The Weihrauch has a moderator (airgun term for suppressor) and is whisper quiet. In fact, the pellet makes more noise upon impact than the action and firing of the rifle.

The full set up including a quality Athlon scope, pump and multiple tins of pellets was $1,600, but I see it as a long term quality investment. Certainly something you can pass down a generation.

I was really on the fence spending so much on an airgun, but in the end I'm glad I did it.

Airguns of Arizona is the goto place IMO. These guys live and breath airguns and carry all the good stuff.

5. Banned
    Decided on an Air Venturi Avenger in .25. Seems to have extremely good reviews for the price point, plus won't break the bank if I don't use it much. Also snagged a couple used 80 cu/ft 3300 PSI scuba tanks, and bought a tank adapter to fill the rifle from the tanks. I can get the tanks filled at my local fire station for free which is nice.

Figure if I really enjoy it I'll drop the money on a compressor.

6. Member
    You made a very good choice
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

7. Member
    I have avoided PCP rifles for a couple of reasons, but there appears to be several great options at reasonable prices with fantastic and extensive reviews on youtube. For now, I am sticking with my Sig break barrel for heavy jobs and my CO2 for close range house sparrow eradication.

8. mikesxpress
    It's hard to beat a Marauder .22 caliber synthetic stock and JSB Exact pellets. It is the quietest PCP pest control airgun available at 60dB due to the moderated barrel and deadly accurate to inside a dime.
    More than adequate for groundhogs/coons and other critters that size within 75 yards. Fill to 3000 psi and shoot down to 2500 psi with no impact variation (25-30 shots). Only takes 35 pumps on the hand pump to fill it back up. 10 round magazines.

9. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    If your just worried about the noise use a 22 and use CCI CB longs in it. No louder than an air rifle. I have killed a many of squirrels in our old neighborhood with My Ruger 10/22 and those bullets. Accidentally put a regular 22 bullet in it one time Ran in the house fast after that squirrel.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    If your just worried about the noise use a 22 and use CCI CB longs in it. No louder than an air rifle. I have killed a many of squirrels in our old neighborhood with My Ruger 10/22 and those bullets. Accidentally put a regular 22 bullet in it one time Ran in the house fast after that squirrel.
    I have numerous .22 rifles and a couple .22 suppressors. Just wanted a PCP rifle since it's easier to clean, less noise and pellets/slugs are plentiful compared to .22LR ammo.

11. mikesxpress
    David even the pellet market took a COVID hit. I waited for 6 months to get two tins of JSB Exact pellets from AirGun Depot and they still show backordered if you tried to buy them now.

12. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    I have numerous .22 rifles and a couple .22 suppressors. Just wanted a PCP rifle since it's easier to clean, less noise and pellets/slugs are plentiful compared to .22LR ammo.
    I gotcha. Air Would be fun to tinker with.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170