Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I was really bummed about it being stuck all the way up since it’s the only position that keeps me from being able to run the bot due to water pressure. I took it to my dealer and he took it apart to see if he could figure anything out and other than some fine metallic bits in the fluid that came from the two gears wearing on the aluminum housing. I am unfamiliar with these so I don’t know what the parts are called but nothing was bent in the part he took apart. The motor spins fast and freely. He did not take the hydraulic ram apart so the damage must be in there.

I was hoping he could at least lower the engine somehow but I guess not. From what I can see it is very well built so I am confident it will not happen again. Still might get a spare actuator just in case. I hate it when my rig is down but it’s my wife’s birthday so maybe it’s Gods way of keeping me out of trouble

It’s also weird to me that there is not a way to check, change or add fluid to these Bobs Plates.

2. Member
    If it is a bent shaft, you will not be able to see it with your naked eye or even a straight edge. I inspected mine using a dial indicator in our metrology lab at work to determine it was bent. It takes very little bending to put the shaft in a bind. That shaft slides through a slip fit guide bushing inside the cylinder. I think Bobs rates them by HP, but I wonder if they need to re-evaluate that limitation and perhaps add a maximum weight limit as well. All of these new 4-strokes are so much heavier, not to mention Talons and PP’s hanging off them. I would not worry about fluid change. As little as a JP pump runs, the factory fluid will probably last the life of the pump.

3. Member
    Snake. I think you might be on to something with Bobs needing to go a little more HD. The power poles should not make a difference since they are mounted to the bracket and not the slide that has to be lifted. Are the new motors that much heavier?

4. Member
    The guy that I bought my plate from had repowered his boat from a 2-stroke to a new 200 Pro Xs four stroke. I did not ask which 2-stroke motor he had on it. He never had any problems with the JP until he repowered. His first trailer home with the new motor jacked-up, and it was stuck when he arrived home. Personally, I would not trailer with the JP up. With that said, I have read documented weights from individuals using calibrated scales that show the new V8”s are nearing 600 LBS after filled with fluids and ready to run. That is a lot of weight to have hanging / bouncing on a JP; especially in the up position.

5. Member
    One final thought….when was the last time that you greased your JP?

6. Member
    Good call but I keep up on the grease. It probably has 2 trips on the last grease up so that isn’t th problem. These things do let ya know when they need grease though.

7. Member
    Just got back from Canada and drove mine home 1000 miles with the plate stuck all the way up. The seal on the nose of the cylinder is rolled up and has clearly failed. Thankfully it quit on the last day of the trip and only cost me one day of fishing, I could get on plane but had no water pressure. Contacted Bobs and it's under warranty (1.5 years old), I'll be down until the new unit arrives and I can get it swapped out. Seriously considering swapping to a slide master.

8. Member
    I got my new actuator and I’m up and going again. I think I am gonna keep a spare on hand if it’s this common. Now my gauge is acting up.

9. Member
    Big shout out to BOb’s Customer Service.
    I was cleaning the boat on Wednesday night and I raised the jackplate all the way up. When it i went to lower it back down it would not move. It made all the sounds like everything was working, but would not budge. I tried shaking the motor while trying to lower it, but it still would not go down. Frustrated and at 9:00pm I sent an email to Bob’s for ideas on how I could get it lowered so I could fish or what options I had. I woke up Thursday morning and I had a reply back to call them and they will review the options. I called be fore leaving for work and left a voicemail. Before I got to work I was called back. We discussed the issue and they thought it was the actuator. The action series plate was still under warranty and they said they would replace it free if I sent it back. I decided to purchase a new one first and would send the old one back for credit. I decided to next day air the replacement so I could get it back up and running quickly. Unfortunately FEDEX had a delay and it is being delivered today, but the process in working with Bob’s to get a replacement was quick and easy. I have to say I was impressed by the service this company had.

I blocked up the plate with a couple of 4x4’s and and loosened up all the bolts and such, but am afraid to take it out completely until I can put the other one right back in. I am hoping it goes smoothly. I will post an update once it is fixed.

10. Member
    If I was a fabricator I would weld up a solid piece that replaces the actuator so the JP could at least be used if the actuator goes out. Make it the correct length to give the best prop to pad setting. But instead I am gonna keep a spare actuator on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintworx View Post
    If I was a fabricator I would weld up a solid piece that replaces the actuator so the JP could at least be used if the actuator goes out. Make it the correct length to give the best prop to pad setting. But instead I am gonna keep a spare actuator on hand.
    Seems like an excessive reaction to a rare event. Hundreds of us have run Bob's plates for years with nary a failure.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

12. Member
    Update:Received the hydraulic assembly unit this morning and installed it in about 30 minutes or so. Problem solved!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12