Thread: Chickamauga

Chickamauga

Coming down from Michigan labor day weekend to see some family in sweetwater. Coming down for five days so I thought I would bring the boat this time and get out to Chickamauga. Looking to see where the best place to launch out of? What are rec fuel prices down that way? I know Chickamauga is mostly ledge fishing, but what should I look for?

Thanks
    Andrew

2. Member
    If you will be in Sweetwater, you are close to both Watts Bar and Chick. As you will be closer to the upper end of Chick, I would go to Dayton boat dock and launch from there. It's the primary launch location on that end. September 1, begins winter drawdown, so be a bit more careful and spend most of your time between the channel markers, especially if you launch in Dayton as you make your way out to the river part. September on the TN River is sucktmeber, but it beats working. The two things I would try are shallow crank baits in the backs of pockets and creeks. If there is current above 30,000, try the ledge bite. You can download the TVA app on your phone, of check the TVA web site for generation schedules. I would also go to Watts Bar for a day or two. There are several ramps to choose from depending upon what part of the lake you want to fish. Typically Watts Bar has a lot less boat traffic and fishing pressure than Chick. Also Watts Bar doesn't begin it's winter drawdown until October 1, so you are good to run most anywhere there. TN fuel prices are typically a bit less than the national average. 87 with ethanol is currently $2.70 per gallon (where I shop anyway). Have a safe trip.