Silvers/Asian Carp in Patoka??

Someone please say it isn't so! I was fishing the cove mouths in Fleming creek and had several large fish jump out of the water near my boat every time I hit the trolling motor. I was in 12-15' of water. They appeared to be silver or bighead carp, but not real sure. Caught me by surprise - I didn't see them anywhere else I fished.....

I sure hope not
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

They are in the Patoka river below the lake. They shouldn't be able to get through the dam, but I could see them getting into the lake by someone who mistook the carp fry for shad and used them for catfish bait. Same scenario at Monroe.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    What worry’s me,,is some of these out of the way small bait shops still buy minnows seined out of local small streams that bait shops sell to anybody to use anywhere. It’s almost impossible for the locals seining to tell carp minnows from other species of minnows and eventually your bound to get some surviving in a lake if used and lost during fishing. Time will tell.

All that crappy fishery needs! The Carp have ruined the White river.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doc201pro View Post
    Someone please say it isn't so! I was fishing the cove mouths in Fleming creek and had several large fish jump out of the water near my boat every time I hit the trolling motor. I was in 12-15' of water. They appeared to be silver or bighead carp, but not real sure. Caught me by surprise - I didn't see them anywhere else I fished.....
    Have you, by chance, contacted the DNR? I would think they would have a concern if this is true...
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    Have you, by chance, contacted the DNR? I would think they would have a concern if this is true...
    The DNR will be on it. They might release some blue cats and stripers!!

8. Member
    This is gonna be an interesting one to follow!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

9. Member
    I did contact the DNR. They have had no confirmation of any in the lake although they may be in the river below the dam. They would have difficulty getting into the lake from below the dam due to the discharge setup there. They also said they would not think the carp could successfully reproduce in Patoka due to the lack of current. I'll try to get a phone pic of them if I see them again. Sounds like they must have been something else