Thread: Chine walk help

Chine walk help

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2021 XRS with a 300R.
    I absolutely love the boat and all the attention it gets. I am learning to drive it and learning that it’s not just hop in and see how fast it goes lol. When I get up to around 78mph it starts moving around a good bit. I am getting better but I still need some seat time.
    My question is, could anyone give me some advise or maybe point me in the direction of some videos that would show how to drive a bullet at high speeds, and manage the Chine walk.
    Thanks in advance.

Have you watched these videos? >>> chinewalk - YouTube

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    You should also have a few Bullet guys around you to help, just give them a shout

4. Member
    When I first got my bullet (2004) a few guys suggested I fill my livewell when first learning to drive. Also if I was going to try speed runs solo they strongly suggested I get some counter weight for the passenger side of the boat.

After a very short time it will become a subconscious Action and you will correct the chime walk. It will seem like the boat doesn’t even chime at all and you’re going over 90mph. Sometimes you catch yourself making the little hand movements on the wheel and think”oh that’s why there’s no chime walk now”.

5. Member
    Definitely have ballast on the passenger side if you are solo. Lead shot works great. I would always have mine on the passenger armrest/cup holder area and it seemed to help. Time will also help, and you'll be a pro before long.
    Wakinvol
    I used to be cool

6. Member
    You will also learn how to drive by the feel of the boat. I can let a buddy drive the boat and they get around 70 75 and here it goes. Side to side rotation and they make it worse. I trade seats and get it to the perfect sweet spot and balance. I let go of the wheel when I get it in groove and just cruise around 70 75 with no hands on the wheel. They just get more ticked.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

7. Member
    Don't know if it will help, but I have 2 batteries on both sides, better balance than my old boat, but I don't have any walk as long as l'm doing what l'm supposed to be doing

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Don't know if it will help, but I have 2 batteries on both sides, better balance than my old boat, but I don't have any walk as long as l'm doing what l'm supposed to be doing
    Mine ran better with no batteries on the drivers side. I put all my batteries on the passenger side.

For chine walk your best bet is get someone to show you, It don't need to be a bullet guy. I had a 1999 Tr-21 that i thought was undrivable then a guy hopped in and the chine was gone. I was like WTF it's not doing it this time. But yeah it was just him driving it. He showed me what he was doing then went on the lake and practiced tell i got it.

9. Member
    As its been said. Seat time seat time. The thing about driving any boat at high speeds is, in my opinion, its impossible to "show" someone how to keep a boat from chine walking. Its a matter of learning what the boat wants and most important, what it doesnt want. When I bought my Bullet 18 years ago I was convinced that there was something wrong with the boat. My boat before my Bullet would run 80 mph so I thought I would hop in the Bullet and run it wide open. Didn't happen, took me most of one Summer to get clicking with the boat.

The best advice I can give is, its easier to prevent chine walk than to correct chine walk. I know that sounds like a "well no crap" statement, but you will get to where you know the attitude of the boat and correct it before it gets into a chine walk. The hardest thing for me to learn was when the stern moved around as much as the bow, now you have to correct the stern and the bow, and they sometimes want very different adjustments.

Be safe, be patient it will come

10. Member
    Yes, we'll said