1. Member
    delete.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Was going to post piston pic you emailed to me but see you got pic posting figured out!

You're going to need more than sleeve work, piston, rings, probably more. I'd weigh rebuild cost against replacing with a well cared for and fully checked out Optimax.
    I agree, i've had this boat since new and it's like a death in the family. lol I've been online trying to figure out the difference between EFI, Optimax and Pro XS. My head hurts. Plus probably can only coax the holder of the purse strings to give 8-10k to put a motor on a 35 year old boat. Entertaining the idea of a good used boat too, but current boat is a 20 footer and totally spoiled by that size. I'm in a real pickle.

3. Member
    you think yours hurts you aughta have to work on and remember all the stuffhit we have too about 500 diff ones and year models , you can fix /restore that mtr for far less than that your self plus some help or find a donner mtr late model efi and change it over your controlls will work trust me
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    you think yours hurts you aughta have to work on and remember all the stuffhit we have too about 500 diff ones and year models , you can fix /restore that mtr for far less than that your self plus some help or find a donner mtr late model efi and change it over your controlls will work trust me
    Finding a donor has proved impossible and i stumbled upon the 150Pro Xs 2 1/2 hours from me. My wife surprised me with her blessings to get a new motor. my bad luck turned very good. For reasons unknown to me there just aren't many shops near me willing to do machine work and the few that do are months out, so driving a few hours and maybe be back on the water by the weekend is just too hard to pass up. I'm taking motor off now to have and work on it as time allows. Not familiar with 2 strokes obviously and be a good chance to learn. I sure appreciate all the help and advice.

One last question i just thought of, the old motor started easily with a 27 series battery, i can remember reading about some newer motor that needed a bigger battery?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    WHICH "150 ProXS"?

2 Stroke Optimax, or 4-Stroke?

Did you get a serial number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    WHICH "150 ProXS"?

Brand new four stroke, haven't seen it yet

7. Member
    WHICH "150 ProXS"?

I'm new to this but my understanding that there's nothing but four strokes after 2019?

8. Member
    New 150LPRO XS (remote steer, 20" shaft, electric start with power trim)
    Includes a FREE +2 year Mercury Gold extended warranty

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tournament2000 View Post
    New 150LPRO XS (remote steer, 20" shaft, electric start with power trim)
    Includes a FREE +2 year Mercury Gold extended warranty
    That "Gold" isn't actually "Warranty"- it's a Service Contract.

Thank you for clarify that the 150 ProXS you stumbled on about 2-1/2 hours away is a NEW 150 ProXS Fourstroke. "New" was the missing detail.

You'll want to look through the FAQ Section in the 4-stroke Forum, including the "Batteries that Meet the Requirements".

I would strongly recommend an AGM battery with a minimum of 975 CCA (choose from the list).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    That "Gold" isn't actually "Warranty"- it's a Service Contract.

Thank you for clarify that the 150 ProXS you stumbled on about 2-1/2 hours away is a NEW 150 ProXS Fourstroke. "New" was the missing detail.

You'll want to look through the FAQ Section in the 4-stroke Forum, including the "Batteries that Meet the Requirements".

I would strongly recommend an AGM battery with a minimum of 975 CCA (choose from the list).
    Ok, sorry, i was so excited i couldn't type fast enough. lol Thank you so much for all you do. Now i'll have to get used to going to another forum,but that's a good thing. hopefully my problems are solved for awhile at least

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

12. Member
    Looks like something was on top of the piston for bit

13. Member
    eroding dome exhaust port area
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    The "ProXS" moniker is confusing as it was used in every displacement of the Optimax for at least a decade before the new 4-strokes showed up. Am sure you will be very happy with your new engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12