Thread: Spark plugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spark plugs

On my 1986 Black Max 200 A914326, I changed plugs after having a sudden loss of power. Hoping it was the plugs with a years run time on them. The new plugs were run a mile up river and back down. Realized plugs weren’t the problem and didn’t want to run it too long. The old plugs didn’t look any different than the new, other than this one, center of port side. What’s this telling all the experts? DAF9E2B8-F447-493B-A6C3-F1F40E8759E5.jpeg

2. Member
    you check compression on that cyl sure looks like ALUM specs to me /pisston
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    677DE221-5FB8-402B-9FB0-B53363B692CB.jpegSame cylinder with a new plug and 3 mikes or so of runntime. All the old plugs were this clean

4. Member
    Here’s the problem Well thought I’d post a picture but it says my file is too big ? So I screen shot that announcement and it’s too big to download even though it’s smaller than the maximum they say it will take. Just the kind of day I’m having. Lol. Oh well thanks for your help, now to find someone to rebuild or a nice used one.

5. Member
    describe it please
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Best description wouid be pitting in a crescent shape on the lower right quadrant of bottom cylinder on port side. Oddly enough the cylinder with the dark spark plug was ok.

So i've resized the picture down to 600x825 and it says it's too big tho it says the mqax is 1025x 768? i'm confused

7. Member
    7D3B4C32-4CE3-4705-B5FA-FD4BBBA948A9.jpegThat’s a thumbnail size of it

8. Member
    so has dark plug ever been in cyl with piston damage

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    so has dark plug ever been in cyl with piston damage
    No, it was in the cylinder above it

10. Member
    any erosion on that piston dome in same location as lower one

11. Member
    No reason I can think of you can't upload a bigger pic, using the "insert image" button here's one that's 3648x2764 and 1.6mb, automatically thumbnailed by forum software. Guys here routinely post 7mb pics, which is way overkill IMHO. I normally resize mine to 1024x768 and <500kb which is plenty adequate, IMHO, for diagnostic purposes.

003.JPG
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See if you can get a full-picture view of the crown of that piston (as well as the exhaust port, if possible).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Ironically I can’t post the message I get when it says my photo is too large. Lol can I sent photos to someone via text and see if they can down load? I just snugged the head back on it and can take all the photos you want. I can’t find a motor to repower or anyone near to rebuild it, so I’m going to go ahead and start taking it apart to educate myself on how these work. Never too old to learn. The carbs were starting to leak etc. I can send pictures as I go. It is calling for heat index of 100+ here today so not going to do too much lol

14. Member
    likely gonna need some sleeve work done , haa been that temp here for a while , temps over 90 inside my insulated shop

15. Member
    IMG_0045.JPGI'd say you're right. This is starboard side, bottom cylinder, not even sure what i'm looking at. At 10 o'clock on the cylinder wall, that feels like rubber? It actually flexes.

16. Member
    I'm a frequent visitor on other forums and this one occasionally, not sure what y'all like to see as far as too few or too many photos. I took photos of each cylinder and each head (both are bad). 30 or so photo's all together.I thought i was going to rebuild but now not so sure, i'm finished for the year any way i go. Can't find a motor anywhere to repower with and not sure where to turn now.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    No reason I can think of you can't upload a bigger pic, using the "insert image" button here's one that's 3648x2764 and 1.6mb, automatically thumbnailed by forum software. Guys here routinely post 7mb pics, which is way overkill IMHO. I normally resize mine to 1024x768 and <500kb which is plenty adequate, IMHO, for diagnostic purposes.

003.JPG
    Was trying to do it from my phone, apparently that was the problem ,hooked up an old desktop and i seem to be able to download now, thanks

18. Member
    IMG_0016.JPGIMG_0042.JPGIMG_0015.JPGBottom port side piston in first photo, center photo showing spark plugs with one years use left to right are port side top to bottom and then the head from port side.

19. Member
    delete
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 08-25-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

20. Member
    Was going to post piston pic you emailed to me but see you got pic posting figured out!

You're going to need more than sleeve work, piston, rings, probably more. I'd weigh rebuild cost against replacing with a well cared for and fully checked out Optimax.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast