Seat belt ticket

It was a bunch of crap for sure. But I had my seat belt on pulling out of McDonald’s in Springlake. There was a state trooper setting watching for people who don’t know how to use a round about. He didn’t see my seat belt he said but once he got to me he seen it was clicked but he said in NC the law says it has to be wore the correct way and the strap HAS to be over my shoulder. I instantly called my attorney in Mo and he said pay it man it’s only $10. Well not so fast Tommy Norrid attorney at law. Here it is $25.50 but hold on. You have to pay a fine on top of it and it’s $155. So the total cost is $180 for NOT HAVING it on correctly. It even states that on the ticket. I’ll be going to court to fight it. If they don’t then I found an attorney who said for $100 he can and WILL get it dismissed. I guess im letting you all know to wear your seat belt correctly or this could be you.

My attorney in Mo says that 100% against the law itself for charging a fee other than a seat belt violation.

2. Member
    Why wouldn't you wear it correctly? Not really a big deal.....

3. Member
    Tint your windows. Law enforcement should have better things to do. Seat belt laws are in place to make $$. That cheeseburger from McDonald's kills more people than non seat belters..
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

Up at Maple Cypress, I was at an intersection, Unbuckled to get out of my truck to double check the tie downs on the boat. State trooper turns and stops to ask my why my seat buckle was not fastened? He said he saw it was not fasten as I open my door. I just looked at him dumbfounded and said, "How was I to get out of the truck?" He just rolled away.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

5. Member
    The law says click it or ticket nationwide. It was clicked and the reason it was not over my shoulder is I just left McDonald’s and I have a Toyota Tundra pulling a lawn trailer. I had to reach to window to get the products I bought. With the seat belt over my shoulder I couldn’t reach it. I did not put it back over my shoulder because I was going 300 yards to the gas station. That’s why it was not wore correctly. Plus it doesn’t have to be over your shoulder in other states so why the fk does NC think it has to be wore here over your shoulder. Many older vehicles don’t even have the strap. I have a 72 Chevy Camaro that has a seat belt around the waste and not over the shoulder. Cop said that was illegal in NC but yet I got it inspected and plates on it here. If it was wrong then it wouldn’t of passed inspection. Seems the highway patrol trooper was just being a ***** from what I’ve been told. Plenty other things to worry about than that BS. This was to bring attention not argue over. The not really a big deal is a $180 fine when I had it fastened and tue fine should of been $10-$25 seat belt not making you go to court.

6. Banned
    All fines are low since it requires passing a new law to adjust them. Court fees, however, can be adjusted without legal process. Easier to adjust the court fees than passing a new law. This is why a seatbelt ticket is only $25, but the court fees are $150. Same with speeding. It's like a $40 fine, but the court costs are what get ya.

Unfortunately, for you, you were in the wrong, according to the law. 1 foot or 300 feet, doesn't matter. Ignorance is not an excuse.

7. Member
    10-4
    Last edited by Eddie Bruhn; 08-21-2021 at 08:55 AM.

8. Member
    The following exemptions to the law exist:

• Vehicles not required to have belts. In general, these are cars made before 1968 and light trucks, vans, and SUVs made before 1972.
    • Drivers of noncommercial motor vehicles with a professionally certified medical condition or mental phobia preventing use.

9. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    ^^^oh, he'll be off scot free, fer sure then!

You were in Spring Lake. They're probably trying to generate funds before the state overtakes their books.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    All fines are low since it requires passing a new law to adjust them. Court fees, however, can be adjusted without legal process. Easier to adjust the court fees than passing a new law. This is why a seatbelt ticket is only $25, but the court fees are $150. Same with speeding. It's like a $40 fine, but the court costs are what get ya.

Unfortunately, for you, you were in the wrong, according to the law. 1 foot or 300 feet, doesn't matter. Ignorance is not an excuse.
    This is correct but it's a shame they're out there enforcing seat belt laws that don't affect other people when you got so many crazy drivers out there breaking laws constantly that affect other drivers like running red lights, not running headlights in the dark and pulling out in front of you, etc.....

12. Member
    This past Sunday around 4:45 am Mike S from on here was with me driving to Falls and 1 mile after getting on Hwy 1 we noticed a car driving on the opposite side of highway 1 going head on in the wrong way. We called 911 and they first asked him what color was the car going the wrong direction on highway 1

I was flashing lights on bright at least at 25 vehicles. We never seen the police at all while driving on highway 1 but they did tell Mike there was other calls besides his but yet we never seen the police.

The seat belt thing was crazy cause I did have the buckle in it’s correct position. That was my thing. I mow a bunch of homes in Anderson Creek and the SpringLake police officers that i mow in there did laugh at me and that officer did say that is something they don’t think a Springlake Officer would ever do. If they did they would be in line of writing the craziest ticket of the year award. I did pay the attorney $100 to take care of it for me. I’d rather know for sure to win it than the DA not liking my shirt I was wearing and make me pay the fine and cost @ 100%

Quote Originally Posted by
    [LIST
    [*]Drivers with mental phobia preventing use.[/LIST]
    Heading there in Nov, will have to remember this.

14. Member
    Clicking around the waist is enough. I have been through many traffic stops and wear my belt clicked around my waist and the shoulder strap behind my left shoulder and have NEVER been ask or told anything about it.
    Rocket

15. Member
    Well just now the cost is $180 when you do get that one freaking ***** of a state trooper. I’ve asked 4 officers here in Springlake and all 4 said they would not right that ticket. State Troopers are they problem.

I gave it to an attorney and $100 and hopefully he gets it all dismissed as he said.

16. Member
    Get Over It...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

17. Member
    Got one in va by a state trooper as well. Went to court and the DA looked at me in unbelief and said "is this all the citation is for?" He couldn't believe it. Dismissed

18. Member
    Dude if you don’t like reading it, then don’t. I just made a comment is all and I’m over it. You get over it dude.