Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Nope, no can do. It's against the rules. Not waiting to find out if the guy has an available backseat is complete & utter BS.
    Thats my issue!
    Honestly the age thing doesnt really bother me, but i understand your place on the matter
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    I'm all for following the rules but not when the rules are completely ridiculous. Change the rules and let the kid fish. If anyone disagrees then vote them out of the club. If a majority of the club doesn't want kids to fish then maybe that's not the right club for you.
    It's definitely not the age thing that bothers me, but the fact that he is bypassing the standard boater non boater pairing. If he went through that, and then asked about the kid, then I would have to say it is hard to say no, but he didn't get put in the boat draw, and now gets to fish with the guy of his choice, instead of having the same chances as drawing a co as everyone else.

3. Member
    If the kid is son/daughter/niece/nephew, let them fish. I wouldn’t have a problem even if the kid wasn’t one of the above. If they are though, anyone who plays the “rules are rules” card is just being an ahole. The guy even requested before the weekly electronic pairing (lmao) so he would be able to take a kid with him. I would have done the same thing if I were him.

Some people are just a problem looking for a place to happen. Geez. The guy wants to take a kid fishing with him. Electronic drawing co anglers, president, Vice President, etc. All for a 10 member fishing club. Steve nailed it, y’all sure do go out of your way to take the fun out of fishing.
    Last edited by weim hunter; 08-20-2021 at 03:45 PM.

4. Banned
    I run a club. Great group of guys and we have a lot of fun. We step on the bylaws all the time. It's about having fun.
    If I get Karen in the club that is by the book, I politely ask him to find another club.
    We all communicate very well. If this was a scenario in our club the Member would have asked in our group chat and it would be voted on by the group. bylaw or not.
    To run a good club you have to thin the heard every now and then.

5. Member
    Sign me up for Brent’s club. Common sense and people trying to accommodate others and just enjoy fishing. What a novel idea. Well done sir.

6. Member
    Wait until start of next season and change the rule then. For now, rules are rules.

7. Member
    I have been the VP and tournament director of our 30+ member club for the past several years. We review and change rules and bylaws, as needed, during the winter meetings every year. We adapted for covid. Worked well. We adapted for older members. Worked well. We adapted pairing procedures based on health situations. Worked well. We adapted to allow guests to fish with us. Worked well. And we have allowed young guests under 16 to fish but only with a parent or guardian. Must be 18 to join the club unless sponsored by a parent or guardian of a current member. Then must be 16. Our club is on it's 47th year. We are flexible and try to make fishing fun. Apparently we have done that, noted by the membership size and club longevity. But underage anglers outside the membership family, in this day and age, can't be implemented due to the very real liability exposure and a litigious society. Wish it was different but that is reality.

8. Member
    most of the guys complaining about the rules are the ones trying to skirt them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    most of the guys complaining about the rules are the ones trying to skirt them all the time.

Always, They always want to bend it to help themselves.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

10. Member
    too young to operate boat in ohio if something happened to the boater legally we had a rule for a minimum age of 18
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. robdy72
    This just opens up the door for more rule violations.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weim hunter View Post
    If the kid is son/daughter/niece/nephew, let them fish. .................................................. ...The guy wants to take a kid fishing with him. Electronic drawing co anglers, president, Vice President, etc. All for a 10 member fishing club. Steve nailed it, y’all sure do go out of your way to take the fun out of fishing.
    My bass boat will go fishing any time I take it to the water, it doesn't need a tournament to fish. There is plenty of times one can take a child fishing that are not in a tournament with a rule against it.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    My bass boat will go fishing any time I take it to the water, it doesn't need a tournament to fish. There is plenty of times one can take a child fishing that are not in a tournament with a rule against it.
    Agree. If you don't like a rule, work to get it changed or find another club.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

14. Member
    Sorry but no. The rules were voted on and approved. The 16 year old limit was endorsed. Without this rule there is no reason a 5 year old won't show up for the next tournament, "My grandson, ain't he cute?" and the ensuing liability will be on the club if he gets injured or falls overboard.
    Rules is rules if you don't like them get them changed.
    THIS.

15. Member
    That’s great. However, some people don’t have that luxury. I think I’ve gotten to go fish 5 times this year. With small kids weekends gets booked up fast. Again, if it’s the guys kid or immediate family I think they should be allowed to fish. I also think many take these small tournaments WAY to serious. Not saying you do or don’t, but a lot definitely do. I agree with you that the guy should find another club.

Quote Originally Posted by robdy72 View Post
    This just opens up the door for more rule violations.
    Exactly, down the slippery slope you go.

17. Member
    It's pretty simple. You have rules on the books, you need to either go by them or change them. Our club only allows underage anglers to fish with a parent or have written parental permission to fish with anyone else.
    2020 Ranger Z521C, 2019 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke
    2016 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat
    Winona Lake, IN

18. Member
    Maybe the kid should be a member and the older member who throws "hissy fits" should be the guest child in the boat....

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    too young to operate boat in ohio if something happened to the boater legally we had a rule for a minimum age of 18
    I guess its a good thing they don't have the same rules for auto's .

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    In an emergency what does it matter as long as someone is there to call for help and or drive the boat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast