Okeechobee in January

Good morning Gents,

Finally got retired and planning a bucket list trip to fish Okeechobee in January.

Looking for recommendations on RV parks on the north side of the lake in the Taylor Creek to Kissimee River area.

A marina/ boat slip availability is a plus.

I’ve found several RV parks on line that look good, but was hoping to get some input from y’all.

Thanks,
    DB

2. Member
    HI DB,
    I can’t believe now one has responded to you yet. To the best of my knowledge I don’t think the northern end of okeechobee has any campgrounds directly on the water, some will be on the rim canal and you may have to lock thru to get on the lake. Clewiston on the south end has a very small Campround inside the lock, but it is not very nice. Just a open field with about twenty spots at the most. I spent Jan,Feb, and march on the lake fishing every year for about the last 15 years. I stay at Torry island campground in belle glade on the south east side of the lake. This Campround is owned and operated by the town of belle glade so it’s not a fancy place but its great for fishing and is actually on a island on the lake. Some of the spots have water access where you can beach your boat right next to your Motorhome. You will probably not be able to get a spot on the water this late they are booked up a year in advance, but the public ramp is next door. The town is not as nice as okeechobe but there is grocery stores and fast food.
    Winter is south fl. Can be very iffy on the weather, a lot of cold fronts blow through. They can make the fishing tuff and the lake ruff and nasty, one thing i like about fishing the south end is that you can usually find a place to get out of the wind.
    hope this helps, Ken

3. GTB
    I would stay at camp Mac on the Kissimmee River in Lake Wales. Got access to Kissimmee ,Toho, Hatchineau and Cypress and the river. Big fish time and it’s a nice park

4. GTB
    And you can keep your boat in the water if you like

5. GTB
    It’s a Guy Harvey resort now so it’s not cheap but it is pretty and relaxing

6. Member
    I live part time on the North side of the lake. I prefer the North and West sides of the lake during the winter due to the cold fronts and wind directions. Some of the RV Parks do have spots for rental by the week or month on the North side of the lake. Where my place is does for sure, have to call and make reservations. Summer Breeze RV and Storage, 3 minutes to Scott Driver boat ramp. Not sure on the rates but had a buddy come down 2 years ago for a month, best memory was around 500 a month?
    Maybe this info helps. Just call the RV Parks and see if they offer spots by the month. There are lots of campers and parks on the North Shore. The RV Parks at Taylor Creek do have docks but no idea if they do monthly or weekly type rentals. You will have to lock thru to the main lake but that is simple and easy to do. Good luck and hope this helps a little.... Don
    Last edited by Donnyboy; 08-21-2021 at 09:33 PM.

7. Member
    Thanks for the responses, guys.

See y’all in January

8. Member
    Lakeport Resort and Condos is two minutes from Harney Pond boat ramps. They typically have a spot or two available. It’s not fancy but the regulars there are friendly.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L&B200M View Post
    Lakeport Resort and Condos is two minutes from Harney Pond boat ramps. They typically have a spot or two available. It’s not fancy but the regulars there are friendly.
    I stayed here for 4 consecutive years before Covid, very clean and close to multiple ramps. Has a nice club house with ice machine and washrooms are very clean.

10. Member
    Pier II in Oke e on 441.close to Scott driver okeetantieand east side ramps