Gas gauge on my 198p

Fished last Saturday and put in with quarter tank of gas as I wasn't planning on running very far ... ended up doing more running then I expected and ended up back at boat ramp with gas gauge needle laying flat on E which wasn't a big deal as every boat I have ever had hold a few gallons more then what gauge reads . Anyway on way back to house I stopped and filled tank full , Took 22 gallons in a 31 gal tank .

9 gallons left with gas gauge showing empty seems like a lot of difference . Anyone else have the same experience with their 198 or other Ranger RT model ?

Because my boat is a squatter, it will show less gas than actual when on the water. On the trailer it is fairly true. That tells me the float is in the front of the tank.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The gauge on my RT188 is typically pessimistic by 1/4 gallon. If I get nervous I lift the back hatch and can look at the tank but I doubt you can do that. An accurate gauge shouldn’t be that hard.

4. Member
    I have a 178 with a 25 hp motor . With weight being an issue my dealer said to only keep 6 gallons in it . One day I ran out of gas on the lake because 6 gallons doesn't lift the needle off e . When I filled it back up I watched the needle as it filled . I got passed 6 gallons and nothing happened . When I neared 8 it jumped off e quickly . I now keep much more than that in the tank as I have realized my dad and I are scrawny fellas . I really wish there was an aftermarket gauge that I knew would fix that problem.

5. Member
    It will surprise you how many gallons are required to fill to just 1" from the bottom of a rectangular fuel tank (depending on actual width and length). Then add in the fact that most fuel senders do not read off of the exact bottom of the tank due to most boat components being generic in nature. The sending unit may be 1" off the bottom and the float may need to be submerged almost 1/2" to 1" before it actually begins to float.

Example:
    Width = 16"
    Length = 44"
    Volume at 2" fill level = 1,408 cubic inches or 6 gallons

Add another 1" because most fuel floats do not start to lift as soon as fuel hits the bottom and you are looking at 9 gallons before the fuel is detected by the sending unit.

6. Member
    good one,Kdixer. I have never had a boat with a fuel gauge worth a d#$%nm at ready levels when it is getting low.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

7. Member
    my 188 is 1/4 tank off

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdixer View Post
    It will surprise you how many gallons are required to fill to just 1" from the bottom of a rectangular fuel tank (depending on actual width and length). Then add in the fact that most fuel senders do not read off of the exact bottom of the tank due to most boat components being generic in nature. The sending unit may be 1" off the bottom and the float may need to be submerged almost 1/2" to 1" before it actually begins to float.

Example:
    Width = 16"
    Length = 44"
    Volume at 2" fill level = 1,408 cubic inches or 6 gallons

Add another 1" because most fuel floats do not start to lift as soon as fuel hits the bottom and you are looking at 9 gallons before the fuel is detected by the sending unit.
    Thanks for the math and explanation .... Guess it's like every other new boat I've ever had - Gonna have to learn all the quarks and perks by using it

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tin wacker View Post
    my 188 is 1/4 tank off

As in 1/4 tank full when it reads empty ?

10. Member
    Pretty normal on most boats and vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by tin wacker View Post
    my 188 is 1/4 tank off
    Mine is too, won’t go much past 3/4 when full. I fiddled with it and worried about it for about a year then installed a MercMonitor (for another reason).
    I reset gallons used at each fill up and when the gauge is approaching empty I check the gallons used. When the gauge has been on empty for a while it normally takes about 16 gallons to fill up.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Mine is too, won’t go much past 3/4 when full. I fiddled with it and worried about it for about a year then installed a MercMonitor (for another reason).
    I reset gallons used at each fill up and when the gauge is approaching empty I check the gallons used. When the gauge has been on empty for a while it normally takes about 16 gallons to fill up.

How accurate is MercMonitor ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorico View Post
    How accurate is MercMonitor ?
    it seems to be very accurate. I don’t know how it calculates fuel used, but it must be done In the ECM because I do not have a separate inline flow meter.
    I overdosed on stupid pills during a trip to TOHO and locked down to Kissimmee on a partial tank of fuel before it occurred to me that I also had to drive back. By monitoring the fuel burn rate on the MercMonitor and adjusting speed and trim to get the most efficient fuel usage, I was able to make it back to TOHO.
    The MercMonitor showed that I had burned 20.9 gallons and it took 21 gallons to fill it up. (20 gallon tank)

14. Member
    That's cutting it close ! Do you know if the Vessel View mobile uses the same technology to figure fuel rate ?

I can only guess but I can’t imagine why it would not.

Why not fill your tank? Will also help keep condensation out too. Marine Safety course tells you to use the 1/3 rule. 1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 third in reserve.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Why not fill your tank? Will also help keep condensation out too. Marine Safety course tells you to use the 1/3 rule. 1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 third in reserve.
    Am assuming this post is directed towards me so ... Most of the time I do But not always . My interest is more in what travel distance I can get with the fuel I have. Am fishing a tournament on Red River in Oct and can for see some long runs. Being that I live right on the lake here for the most part I don't run far or if I want to fish the far end of the lake I trailer , haven't had a chance to make long runs and without making a 50+ mile run to see what my gas consumption is ( not to mention the cost of such a test ) have been trying to get a feel for the factory gauge.

White River Marine did send me a 250.00 gift card to Bass pro , don't know if it was for buying my boat or for them dropping the ball on the paint issues I had with it ? Either way I invested that card in a Vessel View mobile which I installed yesterday so I'll spend some time with that and see how that works . Have read some reviews in the VV and some have said if you don't have a cell signal that system doesn't work so I'll be back to gas gauge. In the mean time I'll be working on figuring it out

Yes it was directed at you.
    I made a 30 mile run with 10 miles at 2200 rpm and used less than 6 gallons of gas. I will add that I was also going against the tide for 10 miles of that trip.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

19. Member
    When I got a Vessel View Mobile, I no longer paid attention to the gas guage. In over 40 years of boats, none have had a remotely accurately gas guage. Keeping my boat in a boat port, I keep the tank full of 89 Octane and treated with Startron Enzyme and Ring Free. I know the rating, but my Opti snorts and farts with 87.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

20. Member
    Well Vessel View not only proved how bad my gas gauge was lying to me but also my Tachometer ! Factory installed tach showed I was running 6000 RPM with current prop WOT , VV showed 5450 which explains some performance issues I've been having