A-Rig setup help

Looking to start throwing a A-rig and looking for a little help on the setup. Fished a two day derby this past weekend and the A-rig put 40lbs of smallmouth in the boat for the winners. Most of the top five were throwing it. It's time to learn a new(to me)technique.

Looking for a rod for $250 or less. I have a Curado K in a 6.4:1 that I'm not using at the moment. I'll try to use that the rest of this year and replace it next year if needed. I'm thinking 20-25lb fluorocarbon for line.

I'm looking at the Dobyns Fury 795. Great price and reviews.
    Last edited by WI-Bassin; 08-17-2021 at 01:03 PM.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

2. Member
    Really anything 7'4 - 7'9 in a MH or H depending on the brand will suit you well. Straight 20lb quality fluorocarbon is my choice, especially for smallmouth.

I've fished an a-rig on the rods below. I prefer something that has a good flex and isn't a pool cue.

Shimano Expride 7'7H
    Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS 74H
    Daiwa Kage 79MH A-Rig
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

3. Member
    The 6:4-1 is perfect speed. If you're going to throw a rig for extended periods you will want a light as possible or at least a balanced set up. They get heavy quik. I would think a 7/6 sierra mod. M.h. would work better. I get way more secure hook ups with a moderate tip. The sierra is a bit slower and more responsive backbone than the fury. The kaden with the full handle would be better balanced. I fish 17# sometime 20# but don't see where unless it's around wood.

4. Member
    Thanks for the input fellas. I did order the Fury 795. If I don't like it I can sell it and upgrade later. Also ordered a few Hog farmer rigs and some 1/4oz heads. Probably going to order some Keitechs also. Should be fun learning a new technique!
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

5. Member
    Check out TacticalBassin.com and search for A rig set ups and equipment. Very useful info. Notice the use of a "lob cast".

Personal note check often for the line getting under the head of the rig. Don't ask me how I know.

6. Member
    Done that already. They are a wealth of information! One of the Hog Famers rigs I bought was designed by them. I figure it has to be a quality rig if they put their name on it.
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Bassin View Post
    Thanks for the input fellas. I did order the Fury 795. If I don't like it I can sell it and upgrade later. Also ordered a few Hog farmer rigs and some 1/4oz heads. Probably going to order some Keitechs also. Should be fun learning a new technique!
    I am using a Fitzgeral 7'3H and a Hogfarmer 5 arm 5 blade rig. Don't use the quarter ounce heads. Go down to a 1/8th on all except the bottom 2 and run 1/4 on them. I use 20lb Fluoro and use the 3.3 Keitech's. I really like a heavier rod. It doesn't seem to wear me out as bad. Also expirament with a few different rigs. The hog farmer is great but there are a few others I have found I really like. One of them is a local made rig that is pretty much a finesse A-Rig and I really like it alot. Sometime's they want the bigger hogfarmer with the flash sometimes they like the smaller one.
    2020 Caymas CX20

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stepup View Post
    I am using a Fitzgeral 7'3H and a Hogfarmer 5 arm 5 blade rig. Don't use the quarter ounce heads. Go down to a 1/8th on all except the bottom 2 and run 1/4 on them. I use 20lb Fluoro and use the 3.3 Keitech's. I really like a heavier rod. It doesn't seem to wear me out as bad. Also expirament with a few different rigs. The hog farmer is great but there are a few others I have found I really like. One of them is a local made rig that is pretty much a finesse A-Rig and I really like it alot. Sometime's they want the bigger hogfarmer with the flash sometimes they like the smaller one.
    We are only allowed three hooks her in Wisconsin. I have 1/4oz on all three wires now but I think I'm going to go down to the 1/8oz. I did by four of the Hog Farmer rigs. The BFL flex and the Tactical Bassin Flex model. I've gotten out and thrown it on one outing so far. I'm liking the setup so far!
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

9. Member
    3 baits with hooks here in Ca
    Arig with 6 or more baits gets bit better than a 3 wire but sometimes they eat the teaser with no hook.Best to have one of the baits with hook trail back farthervthan the teasers,
    20lb floro for me

10. Member
    I find the fury 795 overloaded with a five wire rig with 3 1/8 heads and 2 1/4 oz heads while using 3.8 to 4.8 keitechs. I would recommend the 806, especially if you want to have the option of throwing a 2 tier setup like Shane's baits blades of glory loaded with 3.3s, or want to throw heavier heads or larger swimbaits. I understand that you may be in a different situation and more finesse, but I also prefer the 806 if using fluorocarbon rather than braid.
    Last edited by VAsmallies; 09-02-2021 at 10:00 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VAsmallies View Post
    I find the fury 795 overloaded with a five wire rig with 3 1/8 heads and 2 1/4 oz heads while using 3.8 to 4.8 keitechs. I would recommend the 806, especially if you want to have the option of throwing a 2 tier setup like Shane's baits blades of glory loaded with 3.3s, or want to throw heavier heads or larger swimbaits. I understand that you may be in a different situation and more finesse, but I also prefer the 806 if using fluorocarbon rather than braid.
    I can see how that would overload it. In Wisconsin we are only allowed to have three hooks, so I don't have that issue. Right now I'm using three 1/4oz heads. the rod handles that well.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

12. Member
    Agree with most of what is posted here. One thing I do is use a 5 wire and carry different blades for the two extra arms, as Tennessee is a 3 hook regulation state. I put willow blades when fishing clearer water and Colorado blades when around muddier water. Colorado seems to add a tiny bit of lift and also lets me slow retrieve even more.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish365 View Post
    Agree with most of what is posted here. One thing I do is use a 5 wire and carry different blades for the two extra arms, as Tennessee is a 3 hook regulation state. I put willow blades when fishing clearer water and Colorado blades when around muddier water. Colorado seems to add a tiny bit of lift and also lets me slow retrieve even more.
    I like your thought process here. I'll have to try this.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250