Thread: Spin Jig Blanks

Spin Jig Blanks

educate me on spin jig blanks. I have a X-Ray blank that I really like but I would like to build another one that is just a little longer with just a little bit more power. I currently have a MB736-1 and I think the rod is perfect for 1/8 - 1/4 oz jigs/texas rigs. Fishing deeper with 3/8 oz stuff I feel like the rod is lacking a little. I really like the x-ray blanks. They do not offer what i am looking for in the Mag Bass line up.

Why can't or why is not a good idea for me to take the xray SJ765 blank and make it a baitcaster and not a spinning rod. Thanks for the advice.

2. Member
    Sj736 is what I moved to for heavier baits .. you'll love it. Very versatile blank

Quote Originally Posted by jglenn21 View Post
    Sj736 is what I moved to for heavier baits .. you'll love it. Very versatile blank
    even set up as a bait caster?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angler103 View Post
    even set up as a bait caster?
    SJ is just a taper design, and MB is another. You don't have to build SJ blanks as a spinning rod. I'd recommend baitcasting for the SJ736 due to the power of the blank.
    Last edited by Rubber_Duck; 08-17-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling

5. Member
    Blanks don't care how you build them, nor do the fish, the SJ mentioned above is just like Rubber Duck discribed, the rod building sites are full of people with the same results mentioned. Remember you now have the option of a smooth finished Xray blank now if you choose.

6. Member
    I have two rods that I built on X Ray blanks that I ordered as MB 736s, but I am relatively positive, based on the blank dimensions, the power of the blanks, and the fact that when I requested decals for the blanks I received, they sent me decals for the SJ 736. Anyhow .... they are both built as casting rods, and they fit your description of what you are looking for. I use them primarily for fishing for smallmouth bass. I throw 3/16 - 1/2 oz tube jigs or 3/8 - 1/2 oz football jigs in deeper water.

As jglenn21 posted, the SJ 736 is a very versatile blank. I wouldn't call it a blank for fishing heavy cover, but moderate cover, oh yeah !!

And as far as what the blank is labeled as. As was said, you can build any kind of rod on any kind of blank. It's all about what you're looking for out of particular rod. My most recent build is built on a new Rainshadow RX10 Eternity ETEC72M blank. The C designates it as a casting blank. I built it as a spinning rod. And if you are looking to build a higher powered spinning rod. I would recommend you build it on that blank. It is one bad ass spinning rod, and every bit as good as an X ray blank.

7. Member
    I just built a SJ736 and I love it. It has a very nice tip, and goes to a decent backbone about 1/4 of the way down. There really isn’t much of a difference between the MB and SJ other than the SJ has a little faster action to it. NFC has some photos of the two rods loaded up on a CCS board for more of a graphic view. It’s definitely not a heavy action rod, I’d say it’s a true MH with a Fast tip. I wouldn’t use it for heavy cover flipping or pitching. But for light to moderate cover it’s absolutely perfect. It also seems like it would make a good spinnerbait, chatterbait or swim jig rod too
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

thank you guys. I appreciate the answers. I will order one as they are having a small sale with free shipping right now.

9. Member
    I mainly use mine for swim jigs. I have a friend who I built 5 of them for him he loves it so much..