Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Subdivision warning about my boat in the driveway

Hey guys,

I recently got a letter from the association in my subdivision indicating I’m violating a rule that says I cannot park my boat in the driveway.

The driveway is massive. I can park my 21’ boat with a vehicle attached to it and still clear the sidewalk and then there’s room for another car directly in front of that. Then still have room for about 6 more cars.

It always covered and has zero impact on visual obstruction anywhere.
    But all that doesn’t matter and some pos who has nothing better to do, made a written complaint.

Im just curious if any of you are in the same position and I want to know what you guys do.

Thanks

2. Member
    With all due respect, you were probably given a cc of the HOA rules when you looked at the house. How do they read?

I like HOA rules to keep the junk out and look clean.... I dont live in a HOA area and have some junk in my neighborhood... BUT... I think they are written wrong. I dont like that you cant keep a nice boat in a tucked away area...

I'm just not sure how you would keep that grey area out... Therefore, The reason they are written the way they are..

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Unfortunately very common and you’re likely not going to have any options other than finding somewhere else to store the boat. Has nothing to do with the the space, it’s a blanket policy. No boats, campers, fish houses, rules on cars sitting. I would read the rules, and follow the appeal process respectfully if there is one.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    With all due respect, you were probably given a cc of the HOA rules when you looked at the house. How do they read?
    That’s the thing. I just moved here and I’m staying at my in laws until I find the right house and my Father in law wasn’t aware so he probably doesn’t remember the HOA rules when he bought the house about 15 years ago.

I was going to contact the association to get more details.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I like HOA rules to keep the junk out and look clean.... I dont live in a HOA area and have some junk in my neighborhood... BUT... I think they are written wrong. I dont like that you cant keep a nice boat in a tucked away area...

I'm just not sure how you would keep that grey area out... Therefore, The reason they are written the way they are..
    I understand the point of having the rules but they should have some sort of grey area. Sure it would be harder to have to deal with all the different scenarios but the driveway is massive and you literally have to pull up to the house to even see the boat because of how far it is from the street.

My boat is a 2016 and worth about 55k now and ALWAYS covered and I can’t park it here but if I go buy a totally rusted, trash van or truck that’s a huge eye sore, it’s ok to let it sit in the driveway.
    Last edited by datbasstho; 08-16-2021 at 11:41 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Unfortunately very common and you’re likely not going to have any options other than finding somewhere else to store the boat. Has nothing to do with the the space, it’s a blanket policy. No boats, campers, fish houses, rules on cars sitting. I would read the rules, and follow the appeal process respectfully if there is one.
    Im going to get the full details and read them.

This is such a huge inconvenience. I store all my gear in my boat. I would have to pick it up from where I store it, bring it home to load it, then coming back I would have to come home to unload it and then drop it off at where I store it. Huge headache not to mention, I like being home sometimes and going out to clean it when I have the time.

I just moved from Canada and as communist as they are, I’ve parked my old 19’ boat in my 2 car driveway for 5 years without a single complaint.

8. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    HOA rules are in place for a reason. And of course not all agree with what the rules are. I hear all the excuses but remember the rules are there for a reason.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

9. Member
    We have similar rules in our sub. No boats, campers, trailers, etc stored in sight.

10. Member
    I wish my neighborhood had a HOA there are a lot of people who could careless what their house looks like. They try to blame it on being too busy but most of these houses have such a little yard. And two adults living there.
    Last edited by Kennyt; 08-17-2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: error

11. Member
    My HOA only allows for loading/unloading boats, trailers, RVs etc. for 3 hours at time and only 2 times/month. That rule was put in place several years after I bought the house. After 15 years, I'm going to be moving elsewhere just because of the rule. Indoor storage is costing us $500/month around here. Might as well pay an extra $500 toward a house payment where there is no HA.

12. Member
    Why are boats harder to look at than cars?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Why are boats harder to look at than cars?
    because of jealous neighbors.
    2015 189 trx

14. Member
    Pull it off the driveway and into the grass. Its in your yard now not the driveway. thats what i do.
    2015 189 trx

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Pull it off the driveway and into the grass. Its in your yard now not the driveway. thats what i do.
    My neighbor lost to our village trying that......It probably depends on how his HOA is written...Some don't allow any type of vehicles or trailers to be parked in the yard...My neighbor just had a small trailer but the village has people drive around every now and then and make reports..
    There are quite a few locked storage areas ...I was paying less than 100 bucks a month...Never had an issue. Now is the time to look because the Snowbirds are pulling their rigs out soon and before people start stashing their stuff before winter..
    Sometimes you can find a local guy with a barn that you can rent space from for a reasonable price..
    I would get it stashed someplace..Winter isn't far away and that will give you time to work out a better arrangement..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 08-17-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Move

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    Move
    That’s his plan, this is what the OP said “
    That’s the thing. I just moved here and I’m staying at my in laws until I find the right house and my Father in law wasn’t aware so he probably doesn’t remember the HOA rules when he bought the house about 15 years ago.”

18. Member
    it may not be neighbors reporting you.. it maybe the management company employee in the prius driving around a couple times a week generating letters for trash cans, flowerbeds, grass height, trailers and daycare vans parked at your curb

19. Member
    We have HOA rules against it but it can't sit for more than 24 hours. We've had it home for a week and each time we take it out the clock resets. If I ever get called out they need to prove to me it hasn't moved.

Yeah I get the intent but there are potential violations if you want to find one. I also believe you shouldn't be able to remain anonymous, you got the balls to report it and send and email now lets see who and where you are.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    I also believe you shouldn't be able to remain anonymous, you got the balls to report it and send and email now lets see who and where you are.
    ha, can you imagine how many fewer reports there would be
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast