Just Can not Putt

I have really focused on my golf game this year and playing really well, my driving and ball striking are really dialed in. Up and down the bag I feel like I have never struck the ball better currently my handicap is a 10 and last weekend I shot 82 and a 40 before the rain stopped us at the turn. It has always been a joke on how bad my putting is but I feel I could easily shave off 4-5 strokes per round if I could putt and even at that my long putting is pretty good but 10 feet or less I am a mess. I have tried different grips, holds on the putter, putter styles and nothing. I always feel like I am jabbing at the ball and my stroke is choppy causing major inconsistencies. I practice putting almost every day in my basement mat and still have no feel. Any thing find something that has worked?

I feel you, my putting has gotten horrible this year and the end of last year but I feel like it's getting better. One thing is I was miss hitting putts, it was a result of head movement through the stroke, I cleaned that up and stayed down on it and now I'm striking them pure. I changed my grip to a fairly conventional style but I have my thumbs almost side by side on the front of the grip and try to putt left hand only. I don't think about speed or length of stroke I just look, visualize, and hit it. You don't think about how far back you pull your hands when you shoot a free throw, same thing.

3. Member
    putting is 90% mental, and the other 50% is technique and equipment. Seriously, my putting improved dramatically when I started using a forward press on my putts. It helped me put the ball on its' intended line. I asked one of the old guys who always putted good at my little club, and got this tip. He is in his 80's. I am 64 and had struggled my entire life putting. It is never too late to learn.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Practice putts with your eyes closed.

My putter has a white line on the back of it. I align it to where I want to hit the ball on it's intended line. I don't look at the ball during the stroke, I only focus on line of the putter. Straight back and straight thru, nice and smooth. As far as my stance, I try to have my eyes over the ball or close to it, fairly narrow stance with the ball forward just off my left heel. If the stroke isn't smooth I usually miss and by watching the line I know when I push or pull the putt. Give it a shot, hope this helps.
    I BELIEVE!!!!

6. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Putting seems to be more mental than any other part of the game. I have had days of incredibly good and bad putting. I just switched putters to a spider x and have been putting great, I know it's just confidence as the putter isn't much different than the putter I was playing.

As for tips, I use an alignment line on my ball. Sometimes when I stood over the ball the alignment wouldn't look right. I have found if it doesn't look right, you should move your head to the point it does look right before you stroke the putt. If it doesn't look right, your mind will adjust your stroke to compensate. Since we have binocular vision, often the line we see standing over the put with your head directly over the ball, is not the line we are really aimed on. I have found I see the true line better with my head slightly behind the ball.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

7. Member
    How many putts do you typically have in a round? I am consistently 85-90 with some rounds +/- 5 strokes. My biggest downfall is my putting. I hit 8 GIRs 2 weekends ago and had 35 putts. It absolutely kills my round. I have toyed with getting a perfect practice mat but I also do not know if I am serious enough to get better.

8. Member
    To eliminate the jabbing/stabbing, I need to feel like I am smoothly “pushing” the ball to the hole. I also make sure I keep my eyes down until the ball is already rolling a foot or two before looking toward hole.

9. Member

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Practice putts with your eyes closed.
    This.........and keep your head still