Trailer Step 2.0: Poor Man's Version

I generally fish solo, and one thing I miss about my old lead sled was the big fiberglass step the trailer had.
    It's really the first step down from the boat, when I'm trailering back up, that I needed to address.

1. Located a couple trailer steps online to use as supports
    2. Sourced a piece of 12" x 24" x .25" aluminum tread plate (of all places, Grainger had the best price)
    3. Had some rubber samples from work, so I cut 2 pieces to be placed on the top of the trailer tube
    4. Then wrapped the trailer tube with 3M Friction Tape for the width of the gripping plates
    5. Chamfered the corners of the tread plate a bit (as much as I could do without getting a machine shop involved).
    6. Mounted the 2 steps, then mounted the tread plate on top.
    7. Then used pop rivets to mount the rubber edge trim.

Seems to be a good solution so far. Tread plate sits about 1-1/4" above the surface of the trailer tube (so I can't be wildly off center trailering up). About $150 all in (including new stainless steel hardware).

IMG_0221.JPGIMG_0226.JPGIMG_0229.JPGIMG_0322.JPG
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

2. Member
    pretty awesome looking if you ask me. The only comment i have is any chance of getting cut not paying attention and catching leg on corner of diamond plate. Shoot, i would be happy with just one of those brackets underneath. looks well built. good job.

3. Member
    Thanks for the compliment. So while I did take a rasping file to the entire edge of the diamond plate, and it's night and day from what is was, yeah if I slip my shin is in for it!
    The steps I used as supports were available at Guide Gear, but the prices have skyrocketed. There are similar styles online.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. So while I did take a rasping file to the entire edge of the diamond plate, and it's night and day from what is was, yeah if I slip my shin is in for it!
    The steps I used as supports were available at Guide Gear, but the prices have skyrocketed. There are similar styles online.
    I will check them out!